Moonage Daydream Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies

I've named this lovely, creative and rich desert after one of my favorite artists, David Bowie, who died yesterday

I've named this lovely, creative and rich desert after one of my favorite artists, David Bowie, who died yesterday. His death hit me hard as I was obsessed with David Bowie when I was a teen and had ALL of his albums...I mean ALL. What I loved most about David Bowie is that he made being weird okay. He was also a true artist which is so rare to find in Hollywood. He and his music meant the world to me but I know that his soul and music will live on forever.

I've made two batches of this recipe to get it right. My husband is officially sick of cheesecake, I think. What I'm doing right now is perfecting my cheesecake recipes so that when I get up enough money I can use the commercial kitchen, get my licenses and start going into farmers markets. The goal is to get my cheesecakes and cheesecake goodies into Coffee Bean (and cook Kosher). So far I have the following recipes perfected: blueberry cheesecake, triple chocolate cheesecake, peach cobbler cheesecake muffins, cheesecake chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cheesecake brownies. I still have a few more I want to try.

So, without further ado, here is the Moonage Daydream Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies

Ingredients:

Brownie

½ cup unsalted butter

8 oz semi-sweet chocolate

¾ cup sugar

3 large eggs (at room temperature)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ cup + 2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (for the top)

Cheesecake

2 - 8 oz packages of Philadelphia cream cheese

1/3 cup creamy Skippy peanut butter

2 tablespoons sour cream

2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with aluminum foil, then spray with nonstick cooking spray

2. Make the brownie batter – Melt the butter and semi sweet chocolate (chopped) in a saucepan over medium heat (stirring constantly) for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, pour in a large mixing bowl and allow to cool for 10 minuntes.

3. Whisk the sugar into the cooled chocolate/butter mixture. Add the eggs (one at a time), whisking until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the vanilla. Then gently fold in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa and salt).

4. Make the cheesecake batter – Using a hand mixer or stand up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on high speed until very creamy and smooth. I like to beat for a while so no lumps form in the cheesecake batter. Then add the 1/3 cup of peanut butter, the ¼ cup of sugar and the sour cream to the smooth cream cheese. Beat until smooth and there are no lumps. Then add the teaspoon of vanilla and the eggs. Beat until smooth.

5. Spread more than half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Top the brownie batter with the cheesecake batter. (spread evenly so it will bake evenly. Make sure the brownie and the cheesecake layers are both very level. Layer the rest of the brownie batter on top of the cheesecake batter. Then sprinkle the ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips over the top. This is optional but I would suggest doing it so the top of your brownies looks pretty.

6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edges of the brownies are brown. Stick a tooth pick into the center of the brownie and if only a few moist crumbs come out, then you're done!

7. Let the brownies cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate overnight.

8. Once completely chilled lift the foil out of the pan and cut into squares.

9. Store the brownies in an airtight container. They will be good for a week.