Gourmet Chocolate Cupcakes

So I'm reading all of these foodoirs (food memoirs) because I'm writing one myself mixed with self help

So I'm reading all of these foodoirs (food memoirs) because I'm writing one myself mixed with self help.  Although I'm loving the recipes from these foodoirs, I'm having a tough time with the writing.  Foodoirs were all the rage a few years ago and continue to be popular.

You have food bloggers, food writers, and chefs all writing about their lives plus including recipes.  As I said I've read many and I think many of them neglected to take a writing class here or there.  I find the writing to be very light as in there is no depth to the stories.  My foodoir will have the depth as I am a writer first, baker second.

Anyway, I found this recipe while reading, "A Homemade Life - Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table" by Molly Wizenberg.  Molly is the creator of the James Beard winning food blog called Orangette.  Her book was also a NY Times Best Seller.

I thought the book was cute and had some interesting stories but the recipes are really out of this world.  This chocolate cupcake recipe appealed to me because a)it is gourmet and b) it's not like those super girly cupcakes with tons of frosting.  I watch cupcake wars...why are there so many hot chicks making cupcakes with tons of overflowing frosting?!  It's like their grown up Barbie Dolls or something.

I do think that these cupcakes need a little extra something besides the glaze so feel free to put some sprinkles on them. But these are rich cupcakes and are classy.  They're perfect for Valentines Day. Also you can double the recipe and make a layer cake.

Ingredients:

9 0z (1 cup, 2 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips)

½ cup hot brewed decaf coffee

1 cup sugar

¾ cup flour (all purpose)

½ cup unsweetened cocoa

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 large egg

¼ cup canola oil

½ cup plain non fat yogurt

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

Cupcakes

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a cup cake/muffin tin with paper liners.

2) Put one ounce (2 tablespoons) of semi sweet chocolate chips in a medium bowl and pour the ½ cup of hot coffee over it. Stir until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

3) In another bowl mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

4) In a stand mixer or electric mixer beat an egg on medium speed until it's pale yellow (about a minute). Then add the oil, yogurt and vanilla, beating well.

5) Pour the melted chocolate/coffee mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.

6) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once and beat on low speed until the batter is just combined. Scrape down the sides to make sure the dry ingredients are absorbed.

7) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, make sure that it is evenly distributed.

8) Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to completely cool before putting on the glaze.

Glaze

1) Melt the 8 0z (1 cup) of semi sweet chocolate chips in a metal or glass bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When the chocolate is completely smooth it is ready.

2) Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of melted chocolate on top of each cupcake. Use a knife or spatula to spread the chocolate. Spoon more chocolate as needed.

3) Set the cupcakes aside at room temperature until ready to serve, at least an hour. The chocolate glaze will firm and become matte.

4) Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yields 12 cupcakes.