Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Features The First Plus Size Model!

All:

All:

The Self Worth Diet had to comment on the ground breaking Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue where a plus size model was featured on the cover.  I'm really very proud of Sports Illustrated and I do hope this causes a nationwide discussion on body image. It's about time!

Let me know your thoughts, vote and comment.  xoxo Mara

-------------------------

The Self Worth Diet would like to congratulate Sports illustrated for featuring plus size model, Ashley Graham in their infamous Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. Shout out also to UFC figher Ronda Rousey for also being selected for the cover. Who friggin' cares that there was a third, regular ole, run of the mill, blonde, model named Hailey Clauson (who was the third cover).

I think it would have been much braver just to have Ashley and Ronda as the cover models but I do see how every body type is represented. Honestly though I don't know anyone who looks like Hailey. I'm just happy that Sports Illustrated decided to push the envelope and finally put a model on the cover that represents what most women look like. Most women are not a size 2 or even a size 6 or 8. We're 10's, 14's and 16's.

The media has been forcing their idea of what beauty is (emaciated celebrities and models) down our throats for far too long resulting in girls becoming anorexic, bulimic and suicidal. Graham believes we need more role models for girls and women. "I was told to look up to Marilyn Monroe and J.Lo, because those were the only two curvy women considered beautiful. We need role models for young girls who say, 'Embrace your curves. Who cares that your body isn't perfect?' There's too much anorexia, obesity and suicide in this generation and nobody is addressing the issue." Graham said.

Well, there are people trying to do something about it, that is why I created The Self Worth Diet! I'm not the only one either, there are so many sites and blogs that deal with our society's distorted body image issues (BodyImageMovement.com and theantidietproject.com are two of my fav sites). But yes, we do need to go more main stream which is what I am trying to do.

Graham is also doing her part. She is an activist promoting healthy body image. She gave a TED Talk in 2015 on the subject of body acceptance. You go girl...making a difference! Graham encourages the rest of the media to follow what Sports Illustrated is doing. "I knew the fact that I was going to be in the pages of Sports Illustrated was going to be a huge deal, just because the fact that I'm size 14-16 sexy lady, but to actually be on the cover, I didn't think that Sports Illustrated was going to take that risk, but right now what they are doing is they are setting the standard for what everybody else – magazines, designers, people in Hollywood, should be doing."  Graham said.

Preach, Ashley! I really do hope this sets a new trend for the media as we collectively, so badly, need to see an end to our distorted body images.