11

I just wanna take a moment to thank you all for your patience with me. I love you all 💖

I got into my room and scanned every inch of it looking for a long blonde hair.
No signs of the strange soul.

I really wanted to take a shower, but I was too scared.

I let myself fall in my bed and let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Someone asked from my door.

I quickly got up, screaming. Good thing mom wasn't home.
But I stopped screaming when I noticed it was just Ross leaning on the wall, staring at me.

"Ross." I said taking a deep breath trying to calm down.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were so terrified about this." He said frowning and he entered to my room. I sat down on my bed and let out a chuckle.

"Well, strange souls who appear in my house, touching and talking to me, do scare me a little bit." I said with a touch of sarcasm. "And then, I ask you about it and you cuss and get all angry."

He walked and sat on my bed.

"Sorry for that. I shouldn't have scared you like that."

"Well, can you tell me what's going on, and who is she?" He shook his head and immediately looked away from me.

"No, that's the only thing I can't do for you. Ask me anything, Maddie, and I'll make sure it's yours, but I can't do that."

His voice sounded intense and full of pain at the same time. It disappointed me, but I knew that pressuring him to give me answers would be pointless.

"Why are you here then?" I asked recalling that an hour ago, he was cuddled with Kendra.

Ross stood up and looked through the window.

"Until I know everything's fine... Until I handle what has to be done, I'll be spending every night here in your room." He looked at me with a determinate expression. "I have to protect you." He made a gesture towards the bathroom. "If you wanna take that shower, I'll make sure you're completely safe."

Of course I wanted that shower. I stood up but then I sat down again, looking at him.

"Can you read my mind?" This wasn't the first time he knew what I was thinking.

He smirked.

"Not exactly. It's more like I can feel your fears so clear that I can hear them." I nodded.

"You heard me at the cafeteria when you were with Kendra, I wasn't scared then."

"You weren't?" My face turned red and I got out of my room before he could see me blushing.

I closed the bathroom door, but I looked at the walls knowing any soul could enter at any moment.

I looked through the hallway, where Ross was sitting on my bed. He wouldn't be able to see if a soul got into the bathroom.

His eyes quickly met mine and slowly, a malicious smirk appeared on his face.

"I'd love to join you in the bathroom while you're showering. Anyway, I can feel any soul trying to get into the house before they even do it. I'd be there before any other soul entered. You're safe with me here." He finished with a growl.

+++

"Maddie dear, are you in the bathroom?" Called my mom from the hallway. I opened the door and looked for Ross, who was still lying on my bed.

"She can't see or hear me. Calm down."

I looked at my mom and smiled.

"Did you have fun with Leif?"

"Yeah, after the game we had dinner with Miranda and Wyatt." I said thinking of him kissing me, and then, my mind flew back to the sexy-but-no-human guy in my room, who seemed to not get out of my head.

Mom laughed.

"Well, that's good for now. One day, the right guy will come and you'll be fascinated, you won't be able to think clearly. Enjoy the other ones until then." She kissed my cheek and headed to her room.

When I got into my room, I noticed Ross fell asleep. I slowly closed the door, not trying to wake him up. He opened his eyes and looked at me, smiling.

"Is there a possibility you'll let me sleep on the bed too?"

I shook my head and giggled.

"No, there isn't." He sighed and sat on my bed.

"I've already guessed it, but I was expecting you had mercy."

I headed to my wardrobe and took out some blankets for him to be able to sleep.

"I don't sleep, Maddie. I was kidding." I turned around and frowned.

"Well, I guess it makes sense... for normal souls. They don't have bodies, but you do, then you don't do it. It's like you could choose if you want to be human or soul. That isn't normal, right?" I asked not knowing how all that worked.

He laughed and sat on the mini sofa next to my window.

"I'm not exactly a soul. That's all I can tell you."

He grabbed the guitar I didn't notice was standing beside my bed.

"Go to sleep, Maddie. You're safe and need to rest."

He started playing the guitar and I tried to sleep with the lights on. Then they turned off and I looked at Ross.

"There's no need to sleep with the lights on. I can see anyway." He explained.

I nodded and forced myself to close my eyes. I wanted to ask more questions, but I knew he wouldn't answer. The sound of the guitar started to calm me. Ross' low voice joined the guitar and I slowly fell asleep.