The room

"I hate red, almost as much as I hate blonde hair."

My need of calming her down was going to destroy my plan of keeping her away from me, but seeing her getting upset over me going with Kendra to that stupid Homecoming thing was tough. I didn't like being the reason behind her unhappiness. Couldn't she see that this is what's best for her? The frown and the wide range of emotions on her face told me that she didn't believe me.

"But you're blonde." She pointed out, I smiled.

"But it looks good on me." I winked.

I stood up to get closer to her, and just this one time I let myself forget that touching Maddie was wrong. When my chest touched her back, her tiny body shook. I closed my eyes and stopped myself from cussing. I'd no longer be able to control myself. I wrapped my arms firmly around her, pulling her as close to me as possible. Pleasure flooded all over my body and I tightened my grip.

"She doesn't mean anything to me."

I felt her body shake and my need of consoling her was unbearable now. "I'd never lie to you, Maddie." I whispered against her ear.

She turned around to face me, and I kept my arms wrapped around her waist. I kissed the soft skin of her neck, taking in how good she smelt. Her scent could never compare to anything I've experienced before. I tightened my grip on her waist and worried my strength would hurt her. But I couldn't bring myself to let her go just yet.

"You tempt me. I can't be tempted. I'm not made to be tempted but, Maddie, you tempt me. From the moment I came for you, you attracted me. Everything about you..." I needed to touch her more, to feel her more.

One of my hands moved up and started stroking her exposed arm.

"You make me go crazy. I desire you. I didn't understand it at the beginning. But now I know it. It's your soul calling for me. Souls mean nothing to me, they aren't supposed to. But yours has become my obsession."

Instead of being scared of me and running away —as any normal person would do if Death itself was confessing its obsession for them— Maddie leaned on me, full of trust.

She rested her forehead on my shoulder and I couldn't help myself but make my way to the crook of her neck and kiss it. Her skin was so warm and delicate. I enjoyed how her body shook under my lips.

"I want to kill that guy every time I see his hands on you."

I left a trail of kisses down her neck while she leaned closer to me, full of expectation.

I couldn't contain the deep growl inside of me caused by the weird possession feeling that only Maddie could cause on Death. This was wrong. She didn't belong to me, I couldn't have her. I was Death, and she was human. I couldn't claim for her soul to be mine. Agony took over me.

"But I can't have you, Maddie. You aren't made for me." I said, devastated.

"Please." She whispered.

I couldn't witness the begging look on her face, it destroyed me. Closing my eyes tightly I wished I could explain everything to her. I wished I could make her understand. But I couldn't. The less she knew, the safer she would be. So instead I just told her the only thing I could say.

"I can't, Maddie. It'd destroy us both." Without opening my eyes to look at her one last time, I vanished.