Broken rule

I just started at her while she was talking with her friend. I could tell Maddie wasn't listening to a word her friend was saying. Instead, her eyes scanned the hallway, looking for the guy. Witnessing this was more than I could take. I had a fight in my hands and this was the last thing I needed to see. I decided to wait outside. Maybe it was easier than I thought, change destiny.

In that exact same moment, Maddie got out of the building with tears shinning in her eyes. This was starting to become a fucking train out of control that I couldn't stop. Damn it. I had to do something. I had to change things somehow.

"Don't leave. He isn't worth it." I head myself begging whilst I started walking with her.

"I don't want to stay. I'm mad and I just wanna leave." Of course she wanted to leave. That was their plan, and I had to stop it.

"Please, Maddie, don't get into your car. Come back. Forget that dickhead and enjoy the rest of your day. Don't let something that jerk did ruin your day."

She stopped walking and I felt hope rise up on my chest. It was a weird feeling. It was emotion. I was experimenting an emotion. A strong emotion.

"Why do you care if I leave?"

This was it. I could change things. I could keep her alive. "I'm begging you to go back to school."

"Why?"

I ran a hand through my hair, frustrated, and I heard myself growling. She was so stubborn.

"Do you have to know everything? Can't you just listen for once?"

I knew that threw her off, and I hated myself because I knew I screwed up. Big time.

"I'm leaving. You can't stop me. I don't have to listen to you. Unless you don't have a good enough reason, there's no way I'm staying here."

Then she turned around and header to her car. I've tried. Nothing I could've done would've made her stay here and keep away from her damn car. My attraction towards her was still there. Nothing I did changed anything. If only, it made her run away.

I would have to break the rules. I wasn't sure what my punishment was going to be, but I knew I wouldn't be able to go on if I had to take Maddie's soul. She was so young. There were so many things she hasn't experienced yet. And... I was selfish. I wasn't willing to let her go.

I saw how her car left the parking lot before I joined her to completely change her souls' destiny.

I sat there looking at her anxiously, wondering when the accident was going to happen. How it would happen. She couldn't see me sitting on the passenger's side next to her. I made sure of that. If I was going to interfere in her destiny, at least I had to hide some stuff.

She wasn't going  to stop. The 'stop' sign was right in front of her, but she was looking at herself in the mirror.

"Maddie, please lock your eyes on the road." I begged even though she couldn't hear me.

The massive truck in front of her wasn't stopping either.

"The road!" I roared once again, wishing I could make myself visible or at least speak to her soul, but I knew it would only worsen things. So instead, I took hold of the steering wheel and kept the car rolling as far from the truck as I could. I didn't want her body to get hurt.

I heard the truck's horn and the impact wasn't directly on Maddie's side. I made sure of that. I pushed her body against the steering wheel.

Quickly, I took her seatbelt off and gently lifted her out of the car.

Panting while I held her, I realised she wasn't breathing. Damn it, I hated this. I wanted to take her straight to the hospital, keeping her safe in my arms. But I couldn't. I've already done enough.

I left her gently on the ground and held her hand whispering promises I knew I could keep while I waited for the ambulance.

She didn't move, not even her eyes. But at least she was breathing. Her heart was beating. I let out a sigh of relief knowing I wouldn't have to take her soul. A panicky whisper left her lips and I immediately kneeled down to sing in her ear. I didn't stop when I heard the sirens. I didn't stop when they started working on her body. I didn't stop until they lifted her up and placed her safely into the ambulance.

check out chapter 6 if you don't remember this ❤️