Chapter 6

Brunch carried on well till after one thirty. Throughout the entire gathering Miles refused to let up. He remained just as uptight and insolent as he had since the Tuck's had arrived. Winnie knew it definitely had more to do with an inner battle within him.

She often exchanged numerous glances with Eliza, secretly wanting her to know that there was more to the story than Miles was going to give. It's just that neither of them, Winnie nor the Tucks, were in a position to give insight into the details.

Mae asked a variety of questions about the upcoming nuptials. Isaac would answer politely and give any information that he had, which wasn't much. To his and Winnie's knowledge his mother was taking care of the entire thing, along with the infamous wedding planner.

Save the date cards had been sent out weeks ago, at a time where emotions were heightened and life was a little bit clearer. Now, with just a few short months and Jesse's hasty invasion, the wedding had started to appear further out of reach. Not to mention the electric surge emitting from Winnie's left wasn't helping in the slightest.

Isaac had steered most of the conversation, despite being the newest addition to the group. For some unknown purpose, he felt the need to stand out, which wasn't a foreign concept to him. Isaac very seldom ever went unnoticed. Winnie would give he and Eliza grief that there was an unlimited source of charisma in the Blanc Family water supply. Mae and Tuck would chime in out of interest and Jesse remained silent unless asked a direct question.

After everyone's hunger became sated and the futile banter hit a wall, Mae intervened.

"It would a perfect day to take out the boat. I feel like I could sit on the lake for hours."

Tuck smiled and patted his wife's hand, "Sure, darling. I wouldn't mind it. We can go a little before sunset."

"I've never been on a boat before," Eliza interjected with interest, all eyes on her, "Is it the same one you fish on?"

"We do sometimes. This one is more for recreational purposes and lounging. We do some water sports." Tuck answered.

Eliza crossed her arms and returned Mile's maniacal stare. She gulped involuntarily, wondering what explicit thought was crossing his mind about her. She decided not to give him the satisfaction of making her fluster and turned to face Winnie.

"Have you ever been on a boat before, Win?"

Winnie shrugged and shook her head, "Not in a while. The only time was when Tuck took me out on the river. I remember how calming it was."

"I'd be happy to take you out again...all of you." Tuck gestured, "Only if you are up for it and Mae doesn't mind sharing my time."

"Of course not, we would love the company. Did you all have other plans?"

Winnie hesitantly looked to Isaac for approval.

Isaac smoothed out his dress shirt, "Well, I didn't have anything major planned. I'm just here to spend time with you."

"I'm in if Winnie's in," Eliza responded.

Winnie nodded, "Okay, I'm game."

"I should probably change into proper outdoor attire. If you all excuse me for a few minutes, I'll be right back."

Isaac had barely made it away from the veranda before Miles rose from the table.

"I don't think I want to be a part of this little outing. In fact, I'm not going to sit around and entertain this charade you're all trying to pull."

Mae reared back and lifted her hand to her mouth in astonishment. "Miles!" She whispered harshly.

"I'm sorry, mother, but you know it's true. It's sickening it almost hurts me to see."