Chapter 8

Winnie made a conscious decision to slightly turn her head just as his lips were upon hers.

"I think you need to sleep off the wine." She expressed lightly, "We have to be at the hospital early."

"Okay, but only if I can sleep next to you, again?" He teased, edging closer allowing his thigh to press against hers.

"... just sleeping." She agreed apprehensively. She wasn't sure what exactly possessed her to approve of that.

The idea of being so close only made her feel nauseous. She couldn't imagine what Jesse would think. He wanted the charade to be over as soon as possible and wouldn't waste time letting Isaac know how he and Winnie felt about one another.

Isaac ascended the stairs ahead of Winnie, visibly eager to make it to her bedroom.

As soon as they crossed the threshold, Isaac began removing his shirt and pants while Winnie stood, looking away uncomfortably.

"It's okay for you to look." Isaac laughed, "I won't tell anyone."

"I think I'll go change in the bathroom. I kind of want to take a shower anyway."

Isaac extended his hand to catch hers before she could make it to her door.

"You smell so good. You don't need to."

"We've been on a plane and at the hospital all day."

"So what...I like the way you smell." He encouraged, "And I love the blush of your cheeks right now."

There was no denying the heat in her face. She knew it was present, but not for the reasons he thought.

"Why are you so shy, love? You don't have to be like that with me. We'll be married very soon." He reminded casually, moving toward her.

Before she could respond, his hand was at her waist.

"What if...I'm still not ready?" She stated under lowered eyelids, "It would be a lot faster than I intended and things are complicated right now."

"What's complicated about it," He asked firmly, "I love you. You love me...we're financially mature and we get along great. We can handle this."

Isaac's left hand was on her face attempting to draw her lips in as the other rested on the small of her back steadily dipping lower.

Winnie fidgeted trying to loosen his seemingly harsh grip on her.

"Isaac...we are not doing this."

"So, now I can't even kiss you." He challenged harshly, "I'm not trying to have sex with you, Winnie."

Winnie reared back, offended. She knew that she had no right to be. Isaac wasn't asking anything obscene of her.

"You know what? I don't understand you." He expressed aggravated. "You're hot one minute and cold the next. The other day at the airport you were ready to jump my bones in the car."

"...I was saying goodbye." She reminded, "I thought I wouldn't see you for days."

"I feel like you're giving me mixed signals." He accused anxiously, moving toward her.

She shook her head uneasily, taking her clothing out of her suitcase, "I'm not doing this right now."

"Why not?" He quickly countered. "We can't even have a discussion?"

Winnie tried desperately to keep her eyes from glossing over. "It's late...and you're drunk."

"...That's not the point. I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you."