Chapter 6-Part Two

Winnie, Jesse, and Eliza quietly returned to the veranda to find Mae and Tuck leaving from their seats toward the grand lobby.

"Where did Miles go off to?" Jesse inquired bitterly.

"Oh, you know Miles." Mae grinned sheepishly, "He's around, probably just needs to be to himself a minute."

Tuck respectively turned to face Winnie and Eliza.

"I apologize for my son's blatant rudeness to you both. I'm not sure where the disrespectfulness has come from. It seems after the many years we've spent teaching that he has yet to learn what being a gentleman really is."

"I can think of a few better ways to teach him some manners," Jesse muttered.

Winnie fidgeted in her small stance, completely unnerved by the present events.

She knew everything that Miles had said was the absolute truth.

However, what she didn't understand was why it bothered him so much. He wasn't the one being lied to or the one whom she was sneaking around with a few minutes prior.

"Are you okay?" She managed to croak to Eliza.

"Just peachy..." Eliza huffed in appeasement, "...what about you? All the color is completely gone from your face and you keep shifting.

"I'm fine," Winnie blew off with a meek smile, "You know I don't do well in situations like this. I hate drama, especially when it's directed toward me."

"You mean when it's about you." Eliza negated.

She redirected her gaze to Jesse, who despite his disposition about his brother, beamed underneath with utter enthusiasm.

"Liza...I need..." Winnie began delicately.

"I don't need an explanation," Eliza interrupted, "I have heard and seen enough over the last few days to know that it's something going on and to be very frank with you, it bothers me too."

"It's complicated, Liza. I need you of all people to understand that."

Mae swiftly redirected the discussion, "Winnie and Eliza, will you be needing some swimming gear?"

"I didn't even think about a bathing suit. I can't swim." Winnie hesitantly replied.

"I packed a few," Eliza stated casually, "I'll go grab one. I'll get one for Win just in case and see what's keeping Isaac."

Eliza excused herself toward the elevators.

"You've never learned how to swim?" Jesse chimed in lightly.

"It's not something you just pick up over the years."

"It's not too late to learn. I can still teach you."

"Been there, done that."

"You're not a lost cause, Winnie. Honestly, if you really want to learn I can teach you." Jesse leaned in closer to so only she could hear, "Private lessons?"

Winnie tried to ignore the goose bumps that silently rose on her arms.

She hated how she reacts so involuntary when she gets anxious, definitely like an open book and Jesse was reading every single page.

Before he could invade her thoughts any further, Mae reached toward her with a polite smile.

"I know it shouldn't matter how I feel about this, or any of us for that matter. However, I do believe Isaac is a wonderful man and he will make you very happy, Winnie."