Chapter Four-Part Three

Jesse decelerated down a winding road filled with country style houses that sat on massive amounts of land. He came to a deliberate halt in the driveway of the two-story French cottage. The Tuck home was truly a sight to indulge. The new architecture was spectacular, but held all the original elements of an older home. Winnie's heart skipped a bit desperately trying to hide her insecurities.

"Nice house." Eliza exclaimed.

Winnie could hear the honesty in her voice, which was peculiar considering the Blanc's house was substantial.

"Thank you. It's almost a decade old now. Tuck helped the builders through the whole process. He wanted to give Mae something of her own."

"It is beautiful, Jesse." Winnie breathed from the back seat.

Jesse replied with a smile and motioned for them to keep their seats while he opened there doors.

He immediately felt the familiarity as he held Winnie's hand while helping her from the back seat. He gave her hand a soft squeeze. "It will be alright." He whispered, melting her nerves.

She nodded smiling smugly under lowered eyelids.

He proceeded to Eliza's side and helped her out.

"Why thank you, sir." She laughed, "I have never had a guy my age open a door for me."

Jesse laughed and looked at Winnie who now looked amused.

"I assure you, Eliza. I'm just being a gentleman. Besides, Mae would chew me out if I was anything but."

He swept his hand through his soft waves and led the way up the stone path only a few feet ahead of them.

Winnie moved swiftly to Eliza's side as they approached the main door and Jesse.

"Sorry, I was being snippy." She whispered, "I'm just nervous and I'm taking it out on you."

"And jealous," She added with a smirk, "No need. If you can't tell by now. That boy still very much adores you."

Winnie smiled appreciatively and Eliza gave her little nudge.

"Tuck, Mae, Miles...we're home." Jesse called entering onto the open two story foyer.

The foyer opened into a spacious great room that housed inviting furniture and a fireplace nestled on the far right wall. The split staircase in the center was definitely the focal point of the house. On the opposite side of the foyer was a formal dining room splayed with warm colors and dark woods.

They heard rustling on the other side of the staircase, possibly the kitchen.

"Please have a seat, ladies. I will go see what is keeping them."

Jesse directed them toward the great room and Winnie and Eliza took a seat in arm chairs angled to the right of the massive fireplace. Winnie's eyes were fixated everywhere.

The Tucks who Winnie had known nearly a century ago lived so differently than she had expected. Jesse had said that they had wisely invested in stock. The stock market definitely paid well.

Winnie crossed her legs comfortably and clasp her hands together in her lap.

"You seem more at ease." Eliza noted, "There is nothing to be nervous about. You said they were like family. I'm surprise you're not a little more excited. I am, especially about Miles. I think Jesse was trying to scare me.

"What about Miles?" A low masculine voice asked from the other side of the room.

Winnie immediately rose to her feet. She hadn't anticipated his abrupt entrance.