Chapter 7 Part Two

It didn't take long for the layer of guilt to flood Winnie's heightened bliss. She had fallen back onto her pillow, the back of her palm over her forehead in defeat. She had no idea how to put her feelings into words and silently cursed herself, knowing it was time to face the aftermath of her decisions.

Her clothing was scattered along the sides of the bed and she quickly grabbed her under garments and pajamas and rolled them into a ball to put into the hotel hamper. Apparently, The Fairmount had excellent laundry service.

She had unpacked her suitcase into the extended dresser and began pulling out clothing to wear. She chose a pale pink romper and white knit loose fitting cardigan. Her hair was still wavy and she decided to gather it into a messy braid letting a few strands loose.

After a half an hour, she tiptoed out into the sitting area. Eliza's door was slightly ajar, but there was no movement from where Winnie could see.

She made her way to the door and wrapped lightly upon it.

"Liza, you awake?"

She knocked a couple more times and pushed the door open further. The bed was disheveled, but Eliza was nowhere to be found.

She rushed back to her room to retrieve her cell phone and sent a concerned text to her best friend.

Hey, where are you?

After a couple minutes, Eliza had yet to respond. Winnie didn't want to concern Isaac by asking him if he knew where his sister was. More importantly, she wasn't quite ready to face her fiancé. Winnie decided she would go look for her and headed down to the lobby.

I'm in the lobby. I'm looking for you.

Winnie stood there for another minute or so before continuing outside to the veranda swallowing the feeling of possibly being ignored. Eliza usually had her phone by her at all times and ten minutes had already passed.

I'm beginning to think you are ignoring me. Please respond.

Clearly, Eliza wasn't going to cooperate. Winnie knew it would be best to text Isaac to let him know where she was in case he came looking for both of them.

Hi, I'm on the veranda. Just so you know.

Eliza and I are on our way down. We need to leave.

Instantly, Winnie froze in panic. Eliza had been with Isaac the entire time. Leave? Did he mean Charlotte or the hotel? She couldn't force herself to ask the question she most wanted to. Why? Did he know about what happened? Did Eliza know about her and Jesse and rushed to tell her brother?!

Eliza appeared suddenly with Isaac right on her heels. Her eyes were slightly red and puffy like she had been crying. Winnie couldn't place Isaac's expression. The only word that came to mind was tame. Something had happened and it wasn't puppies or kittens.

Before Winnie had a chance to confess and beg for forgiveness, Eliza interrupted.

"It's Dad...he's...he had a heart attack early this morning."

Isaac reached for Winnie's hand.

"He was rushed to the hospital. He's stable for now, but they put him in a medically induced coma. My mother is losing her mind."

Winnie quickly found her voice laced with concern, "I'm so sorry. We need to leave now."

"I've already made the flight arrangements," Isaac breathed glancing at his sister, "It leaves at 1:15."