Twenty-five

Allie did everything in her power to avoid Dom's gaze as he drove her to the hospital.

She spared a glance at her son sleeping in the backseat when he pulled up at the main entrance of the hospital before stepping down from his car.

She closed the door quietly and made her way into the hospital.

She could tell he was mad as he didn't speak a word to her after their argument on where James would be since he insisted she see a doctor immediately.

She wanted to wait and see the doctor in the morning after taking James to school and he wanted her to go to the hospital as quickly as possible.

She argued with him until she noticed that his hands were shaking and he was breathing hard.

There were very few patients in the hospital, fortunately for her.

As soon as she signed herself in, she was called in to see the available obstetrician.

"Ms Parker, did you have issues with your previous pregnancy?"

Allie nodded. It was entirely her fault. She wore her heart on her sleeve and got it broken, she'd lost appetite, weight and the will to fight.

She couldn't keep down what she managed to eat, yes it was her fault.

"Let's check your baby."

He said, sounding deep in thought.

"I'll send a nurse to help you."

He walked out of his office.

Allie leaned back into her seat and wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans.

Her heart thudded in fear.

She couldn't loose this child she already feelt connected to to it. What she didn't understand was why she was bleeding.

"Miss Parker, please go on in there and change into this."

The nurse said, startling Allie.

She hadn't realised when she got in.

"Okay."

She took the paper gown from the nurse and got up to go change.

"It's okay if you don't take off your jeans."

The nurse called after her.

"Are you here with someone, should I call them in?"

Allie shook her head. She always went to the doctor alone, it really was no big deal for her.

"Well then you just get on that bed and I'll call the doctor in."

Allie nodded and smiled at her retreating figure.

The nurses here were really polite.

Quietly, she plopped herself on the bed and laid down on her back. She knew the procedures, being a well trained pediatrician, she  sometimes had to work with an obstetrician and being a mom, she had her own share of scans.

The door opened and the doctor walked in.

"Relax, you'll be alright."

They always say that.

"Can you still feel your baby? Does it hurt anywhere."

Dr. Xavier asked as he approached her.

"Yes, I still feel like she's there and there's no pain."

He nodded. "Here we go."

He squirted some ultrasound gel onto his gloved palm and rubbed it on her stomach.