Twenty-six

"Peaches, are you craving anything, are you hungry?"

Dom slowed down and glanced her way briefly before turning back to the road.

Allie shook her head no.

She kept looking out the window.

That was the first time he said anything to her since they got into the car.

"What did the doctors say, are you alright?"

He pulled up by the roadside.

That was the first thing he should've asked her, if she was alright.

"I'm fine."

She mumbled.

Dom started the car and drove off.

"And the baby?"

"We're both fine."

It was heartwarming to know that he cared.

Allie shook her head to clear her thoughts.
There was just no way she'd let herself feel. ... It only hurts in the end.

She blinked the tears away quickly.

Allie was so immersed in her thoughts that she didn't notice when he pulled up in front of her house until he opened the door and was walking to her side to help her out.

She quickly opened the door and stepped out as he reached her.

Closing the door, he followed her inside.

James...

Would Dom agree to return James tomorrow?

Fear overcame her, nearly choking her.

"Would you like a shower first or you'd like to eat?"

Allie closed her eyes and exhaled.

"You know, I can look after myself. You don't need to bother yourself."

She said in the most detached voice possible.

When she opened her eyes, Dom was pacing in front of her three seater couch.

"I know I hurt you Al and I asked... no, begged for your forgiveness, I thought you forgave me but..."

Dom sighed, it was hard not to yell.

"I don't understand why you'd keep the fact that James is mine and the fact that you're pregnant away from me."

Allie opened her mouth but he silenced her with his hand up.
He didn't want to hear anything

"You should've just told me you didn't love me instead of keeping me around and making me love you again so fucking bad that I can't stay mad at you no matter how hard I try."

He knew she was crying but damn he needed to get this out of his chest.

"You think you're the only one hurting? I've tried to make amends but every fucking minute, you pull out my heart and step on it. Every time I try to care, you just throw it back in my face."

"Dom..."

"It fucking hurts that you don't trust me, even a bit, you keep pushing me away."

Dom spat.
Maybe its time to let her go for good.

She'd get child support and they'd work out a schedule for him to spend time with his children.

It wasn't healthy for the both of them to keep playing whatever it is they were playing.

It'd hurt... Yes but he'd rather she be happy with someone else than stay with him and be miserable.

"We can't be together if you're not happy with me."

Allie's teary eyes shot up to look at him.

"This madness needs to stop. I'll take care of our children's needs, every thing money can buy. We just have to work out a schedule that will let me spend time with them."

He said with so much difficulty. This was soo hard...

"I love you so bad Allie, but if you don't feel the same way for me, I can't force myself on you."

He closed the short distance between them.

"...so I'm letting you go. Don't worry, you'll find someone better than I am and be happy. I hope you don't hate me more than you already do."

He swept her into his arms, holding her close for a few seconds before pulling out.

Cupping her face in both hands, he tilted her her head, making her look up at him.

"I love you with all of me, and I always will."

He managed to whisper because of the huge lump in his throat.
Who said men were heartless?
Well, even if they they were heartless, he wasn't. His heart was broken and bleeding.

It hurt more than the last time because now, he was letting her go because she didn't love him.

Ever so gently, he wiped her tears with his thumbs, his eyes glued to her baby pink lips.

Fuck it!

He leaned in and kissed her long and sweet.

The last time he'd kiss her like this.
Their last kiss.
She didn't respond, her body stayed rigid.

Allie's heart thumped hard against her ribcage.

So this was it?

Was this really what she wanted? To let him go?

Dom inhaled her scent deeply as he pulled away.
He'd miss her dearly. Maybe when his heart finally realises she didn't want him, it would get over her and move on, maybe find someone else to love.

How can I live without her?

"Bye baby."
He tore himself away from her and walked to the door.