•Part Twenty-One•

Guys! This is actually a decent sized

Chapter! The reason they've been short is because I have to type them on my phone now, my apologies. x

***

My ears deceived me. Making me hear noises and sounds I had wished to hear, because there was no way that I was actually hearing what I thought I was. I knew that she was dead; I watched them lower her body into the ground. I watched her mom drop to her knees at her funeral, I had dealt with her grief naturally, and I had to let her go; just like I was supposed to.

So then why was my mind playing tricks on me as I laid there in the bed with Harry? It wasn't very nice to do that, with all the ordeals I had been through in the in the past few months. I really couldn't handle any more heartbreak.

Or actual injuries.

When I finally had the courage to look from under the covers, my heart stopped.

She stood there, in front of my bed smiling. Her brown hair was just as curly as ever, her beautiful green eyes sparkling with delight as she enjoyed my shock. Her hands were behind her back mischievously, and I could see that she was excited. She even looked a little taller as she stood, but she was already taller than me so that wasn't very fair. Her neck was holding itself in place, further proof that she wasn't a zombie here to eat me. The bruising look her body taken when she was in the casket was gone, replaced by a rosy glow. Her cheeks were no longer hallow, they puffed out, as if she were holding her breath, waiting for my response.

"Mara?" I choked on her name as it slipped from my lips, something big and large in my throat that I tried to swallow down.

"Yes Devon, it's really me." She smiled warmly, and I fought the urge to burst into tears.

"H-how?" I felt Harry's arm pull me closer to him, but for the first time since I met him it wasn't his hug I wanted, it was Mara's.

"It's a really long story babe." Her lips tugged up into a smile as her on fur darted out between her teeth to lick them.

I was about to get out if bed and tackle her, demanding ever single answer to everything in the world. I'm sure I was frustrated enough to ask her how the world came to be and expect the correct answer, when I realized I still didn't have any clothes on.

At that thought, a red hot flame courses through my cheeks as I realized Mara was in here when Harry and I were naked under the covers.

Though judging by the grin plastered on her face, she knew exactly what had went on last night, and that fact gave her joy.

But there was something in her eyes, a sorrow so deep I could feel it in my bones. Her eyes seemed darker than they usually were, holding more black than they ever had before. She was missing something, something important.

The days when I was trying to move on with life when I left Harry popped into my head. They were always so painful to think about, because thinking about them was almost like reliving them, and I couldn't handle reliving a life without Harry.

But I remembered how she and Louis would always try to cheer me up, take me places and buy me things all whole secretly hiding the fact that they had a thing for each other. At that time, I hadn't paid much attention, my life spiralling out of control fast, but now that I thought back on it, I noticed the pinking holding, the secret smiles, the twinkling eyes, it was all there.

"Louis is downstairs," I spoke to her; my suspicion confirmed when her eyes lit up. Though she looked conflicted, as if she felt bad for leaving her best friend.

"Go." Harry's laugh filled the room, and Mara's eyes flickered from him then back to me.

"Just while you're getting dressed, then I have some explaining to do." She tried to dim the excitement but it would've taken a jack hammer to just put a dent in it.

"Okay," I smiled, the reality of Mara being here, standing in front of me and not six feet under the ground hadn't fully settled in to me yet.

Mara clapped her hands excitedly, leaving the room. I was silent as I listened to her feet hit the stairs, probably three at a time with her eagerness to get to Louis.

I felt the bed move as I turned to see Harry getting out of the bed. His hair was an unruly mess of chocolate curls as he ran his fingers through them, trying to set them the messy way he usually wore. My cheeks flamed again as my eyes trailed over his naked body.

Instead of making his usual witty comment, all Harry said was to get dressed, and he didn't even look at me when he said it.

"Are you okay Harry?" I asked, my tone laced with concern.

"Yes baby I'm fine." He countered back without looking up as he pulled his jeans up around his hips.

I clasped my bra in the back and grabbed the shirt that Harry had discarded last night and pulled it over my head. I suddenly found myself worried.

"Babe, are you sure?" I asked him, and he turned around to meet my penetrative gaze.

"I don't have a good feeling about this. Of all angels to send to us, they send your dead best friend?" He shook his head. "Something isn't right."

I contemplated his words as he stared at me, and what he said made sense.

Aside from one thing.

"She's an angel?" I asked. For some reason, it was hard for me to believe that. Out if all the things I had seen and done in the past few months, and I found Mara being an angel impossible to believe.

"Yes baby, she is. I don't know why, and I don't know how, but she is." He answered as he wrapped his arms around me.

I placed my head on his chest as I want his heartbeat. For some reason, his heartbeat calmed my fried nerves.

If Mara was an angel that meant that the archangels had control over her, which meant they could see where she was at any time, any place. They could hear her thoughts, and basically do anything they wanted, which in turn was risking everything.

Harry seemed to have realized this at the exact time I did, because his eyes clouded over and his grip around my waist tightened.

"She can't stay here," he growled, confirming my thoughts.

I shook my head against his chest. If she couldn't stay here, where on earth would she go? Her parents thought she was dead, and it had to stay that way. She had no where else to go but here. I pondered if she knew that already, it would certainly explain why she had popped up here out of nowhere.

"Maybe we should just hear her out Harry; we can't just kick her out."

"Yes we can." The authority in his voice had me taken aback. His face softened as he looked at my actual expression, no doubt filled with slight frustration.

"I'm sorry love, I just can't risk you." His voice whispered in my mind, sending shivers down my back. Our eyes connected as his tongue pushed through his teeth, wetting his pink lips. His hands rubbed up and down my arms but it wasn't having the diapered affect.

"Harry, I need to talk to her; we need to know why she's here."

I pulled away from him, his mournful expression made me feel a little guilty, but I knew he would get over it, I couldn't just send my supposed dead best friend packing when she had no were to go.

When I reached the bottom step, all eyes landed on me. Gauging my reaction, making sure I hadn't gone insane. I was wondering when I was going to lose it myself, but I didn't feel even the least bit weird. Maybe it was because I had already seen so many insane things, like Harry being my teacher, which I would have to talk about later with him, to the earth splitting open because of a seemingly normal boy's anger. I guess the dead rising didn't really affect me as much as it should've.

I brushed off their stares and sat down on the couch next to Niall and Liam. Lizzy was nowhere to be found, probably thinking of some new sexual way to torture her boyfriend who was sitting quietly beside me.

Mara and Louis sat in front of me, Mara practically sitting in his lap as they both held smiles so huge a ruler could've fit in their mouths without stretching uncomfortably.

I cleared my throat, drawling Mara's attention. She looked away from Louis like it had physically hurt her. I knew the feeling. Harry not sitting beside me was almost suffocating, but I was trying my hardest to ignore the suffocation drawling closer by the minute.

Mara interlaced her fingers and put them on her knees that she crossed. She had that eerie perfection that every angel in the house had, he flawless smooth skin an elegance scaring off any normal human being within a hundred mile radius.

"So, I guess you want an explanation..." She looked up from her fingers and I almost scooted back. Her eyes were insane, swirling with a whole bunch of colors, some I didn't even recognize.

"Yes," I simply answered, afraid if I let any other words escape my mouth I would regret it. I stared chewing on my nails, another nervous habit I had developed in short months I had known Harry.

London was experiencing the hugest rainstorm we had seen in a while, with lightning and thunder waking up the sleeping souls all over London. The lightning flashed, settling a perfect, even creepier atmosphere to the situation.

"Okay," she took a deep breath, and I vaguely noticed Louis' hand running up and down her back, in a calming gesture. I wished Harry would get over himself and come down here and hold my hand or something.

Right bloody stubborn he was.

"I was dead Devon, I swear. I was dead for the first month. I guess I was in Heaven, you could say. It was wonderful there, peaceful. Not a worry in the world would you have up there, it was beautiful white everywhere, almost as if you stared at the sun constantly. It could be blinding sometimes. Everyone was the same so you couldn't judge anyone for wearing the wrong shoes like you can in this fucked up world." She looked at her fingers again, as if her cuticles would give her all the answers if she just stared at them long enough.

"One day, I was just minding my own business, when I heard your name mentioned Devon." She stopped, looking up at me.

"What about Devon?" His raspy voice filled the room, and everyone turned to see Harry leaving against the door frame; one ankle crossed over the other with his knee slightly bent. He wore a red and black patterned shirt though he wore it unbuttoned with a black shirt underneath. His curls stuck up in random places, though he looked very good with it.

Mara looked slightly intimidated as she stared up at Harry, but I nodded at her encouragingly.

"Well, someone said something about her, something that didn't make sense to me. They said she was powerful, something they could use to take down hell, but they didn't want to keep her safe, which weirded me out because I thought angels were supposed to care about human's well being." She cracked her knuckles.

So did I Mara, so did I.

"Go on," Harry demanded, slight anger in his tone. I gave him a warning look, causing the left side of he mouth to slide up into a tiny smile barely recognizable unless you were looking for it.

"They said after they used her, they would kill her." She continued quickly, which was smart because even though I wasn't touching Harry and he wasn't touching me, I could feel his anger rolling off in waves and if Mara would've stopped he would've lost it.

"But first they said in order to find her they needed to make more angels and send them all to earth to look for Devon. Their logic was more along the lines of turn every soul into an angel and make them search the earth for Devon. Whoever finds her first gets a reward" Mara was ashamed as she stared at the wall, but I couldn't figure out why she was ashamed, though Harry seemed to know exactly why.

"Are you one of those angels, Mara?" He asked, staring hard at her. She didn't crumble under his gaze; which I gave we props for. Harry's glares I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

"Yes." She answered honestly, looking at me. My mouth dropped open. I was an idiot, I should've trusted Harry's instincts and now I was going to die because of it.

***

Hey guys! Not much left of this book! Maybe four more chapters! The last chapter is going to be HUGE and I'm so excited for it! I've been sick all day today so if this chapter is bad I apologize.

Can I get ten votes and five comments for chapter twenty two?

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER PEOPLE! @its_GottaBeZayn

Or you can Kik me! GiveMeLoveHarry

Comment/Vote/Follow (:

-Hailey xx