~Ten~

I must have fallen asleep on our way back from the clinic because I hadn't realized we had already arrived in front of my apartment building until Frederick slightly shook me awake.

"We are here." He told me before he unbuckled himself out of the seat belt. With a yawn threatening to tear my mouth open, I looked around me a bit dazed as I stretched my arms to get the kinks out. "Do you want me to come up with you?" He asked.

A part of me wanted to say yes, why not? Come up and stay with me because for some stupid reason, you're able to calm me down. And when you're there, a weird thing happens and all of sudden, the world isn't so loud and doesn't feel so big anymore.

And really, I had no fucking clue why. How did you, Frederick Milton Halter, pass my iron walls when they have been guarded so far as if my life depended on it. Because, it did. Maybe I wasn't being honest with myself. And maybe, I was unconsciously trying to ignore and fight the inevitable. I was very selfish with who I allowed to be in my circle. I had to.

Frederick showing genuine concern for me was something I hadn't expected from him. He didn't have to care. He was paying me and I had agreed to the terms and conditions so I was going to go through with it regardless of how I felt. But seeing him care about me, or the fact that he had been even remotely worried for my well being, showed me that he was serious about us being more than strangers.

So this must have been why my heart would skip a beat as I remembered the way his fingers softly stroked my hair or how soft were his lips while he placed that single, most important kiss on my forehead.

I cleared my throat. "No I'll be fine, my best friend Billie is waiting for me upstairs."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Okay, get some rest and I'll call you later so we can talk if you're feeling up to it." He leaned over me before placing a kiss on my cheek. I closed my eyes for just a second before taking my seat belt off and stepping out of the car.

I shut the door and smiled. "I guess I'll talk to you later?" I asked, not knowing what else to say to him.

"Take care, Eva." he said as I turned around to walk inside my building.

______________

Billie really was waiting for me when I got in. And look at my face told her something was wrong. "What happened?" She questioned me.

"The secret is out." I told her, taking my shoes off. I placed my purse on a hook by the door before moving to the sofa where my friend was sitting.

She patted the empty spot next to her. "Fuck. He knows?"

"Not yet. But the doctor does and she said there shouldn't be any secrets between he and I. She said I should think about talking to Frederick about what happened to me. "

What are you going to do then? Tell him?"

Now that was the million dollar question, wasn't it?

"I have no idea."

____________

"Don't look to your left yet, but there is a seriously hot dude that's been checking you out since he walked in." Billie whispered in my ear while I devised a plan get the fuck out and go home. I was in no mood to play 'pick'-a-boo. I hadn't wanted to come to this party and now that we were there, I was convinced that I had been right to not want to show up.