~Thirty Four~

He started moving towards me. "So what do you think? This is obviously not how I wanted it to happen but nonetheless, I've been thinking about it for awhile now." He stopped in front of me and reached for my left hand, a wary smile slowly spreading on his face while he reached into his pocket.

          Holy Mother of all that's mighty! This definitely was a dream, there was no way this was happening, there was no way I wasn't dreaming this moment. This had to be a joke, a dirty trick my mind was playing on me and if I wasn't careful enough, I would find myself falling into the trap and lose said mind in the process.

          I watched as he pulled out a small black box from his pocket and then looked at me, all seriousness displayed on that handsome face of his. "Eva," He started and then took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

         Holy shit! So this was actually happening? So it wasn't a dream? It wasn't just a fickle of my imagination? A crazy moment stuck between what's real and what's not?

       "Eva," he tried again, but this time, before he could outer another word, I spoke.

         "Stop." I said suddenly when I could finally find my voice. He stopped speaking but looked at me puzzled. I pulled my hand away, "Why are you doing this?" I asked him which I would guess was completely different than what he would have expected me to say that he took a second to ponder on the question, but the second what I had said finally registered, a crease started to form right there in the middle of his forehead.

         "I'm sorry, what?"

        "Why are you doing this?" I asked again. "Is it because of James and Charlotte? is that why?" I then added. He shook his head as if he was trying to understand, as if he was hearing me but somehow wasn't comprehending.

         "It has nothing to do with Darcy." He answered and then reached for my hand again, this time, I let him. "I love you, Eva. We are about to have a child together and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, isn't that a reason enough?"

         His voice was calm, the expression on his face soft but in the back of my mind, I was thinking of the best way to possibly get out of this without hurting his feelings.

        "Frederick, I love you too, and in a way, I feel like I've loved you since the very first day I met you. You've literally saved my life and I will always be grateful." I dropped the half eaten apple I had been holding, wiping that hand on the dish towel to grab my cell phone that had been sitting on the counter the second it started ringing loudly in the quiet apartment.

          I stared at him, he stared back, the phone kept ringing in my hand until finally, after what felt like forever, I looked down at the screen.

         "Eva, don't." He said but I pulled my arm away anyway. One look at the screen told me it was Charlotte who must have been waiting for me downstairs since I was expecting her to show up at any given moment.

          "I'm sorry, I can't. I have to go, Charlotte is probably waiting downstairs for me. I have to go." I told him, not waiting for him to say anything else, I left the kitchen and just about ran out of the apartment the second I grabbed my purse and put on my flats.

           To say that I was thankful for the elevator being empty was the understatement of the year, because then I could simple hit the stop button to give myself to time to regroup and finally exhale the air I had held in. But after a few very long minutes of doing just that, and after having texted Charlotte that I would be down in just a few, I finally had the time to go over the very recent events.