~Seventeen~

I anxiously sat on the examination table with my legs dangling over the edge and kept rubbing my sweaty palms on my hosptial gowm. I was nervous as expected but there was a reason behind it.

       Things weren't going as expected and that was more so irritating me. I hadn't expected, going into this arrangement that things would take this turn and as the months passed with still no baby in the horizon, I was starting to wonder if I had made the right decision.

           It also didn't help that Karlie was now ready to take on that responsibility. In a chair next to me sat Frederick who was rocking a poker face. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm my nerves.

          This was it. I didn't think I could handle another round of shots. We'd been trying for this pregnancy for over two months now and still nothing, so maybe that was a sign that perhaps we needed to look at other options. And for the past week, I had been toying with the idea of agreeing to use my eggs instead. I wasn't fully there yet, but I was getting desperate.

      While we waited for the doctor to walk back into the examination room, I was already trying to find the right words to tell Frederick that I couldn't keep going with this and that I was just about ready to make a big amendment to the contract, if the results she had were negative.

         This whole thing was taking a toll on me mentally and that was never a good thing for me since I was already, not only mentally weak, but also a little messed up.

         "I have the results," The doctor said as she entered the room in which Frederick and I were waiting. "You are definitely pregnant." She smiled.

         I let out a shaky breath that I hadn't known I was holding. Frederick squeezed my hand gently and nodded just once to acknowledge what the doctor had said.

         "And you think this time around we'll be able to keep this pregnancy full term?" Frederick asked, referring to the miscarriage that happened with the very first pregnancy. That also had been the reason why we had decided not to do any pregnancy test until my period was at least a couple of weeks late.

         "There's no reason why she shouldn't be able to carry it full term. She's seven weeks pregnant to this day so the next few weeks are crucial but as soon as she passes her first trimester, the chances of miscarriage are much much lower."

        I couldn't contain my excitement. I was over the moon to know that I wouldn't  have to retort to the second option.

        "I told you patience was key in situations like these. For some people it takes a lot more times than it did yours so you should happy." The doctor added as she got up. "I'll let you get dressed but before I go," she handed me a paper. "I've prescribed you a few prenatal vitamins that I want you to take and I'll see you in the few weeks for your check up."

         "Thanks, doc." I thanked her, glancing over the prescription she had given me.

          "You're welcome. Take care of yourself and I'll see you in a few weeks."

             Frederick and I watched as she walked out and ever so graciously closed the door behind her before I finally got off the table to put my jeans on, turning my back to Frederick who was still sitting there silently, his eyes unfocused as his mind was a million miles away.

           I glanced quickly at him as I pulled my sweater down, not wanting to catch a cold. "What's wrong?" I turned around finally all dressed and ready to head out. He shook his head slightly as he smiled.

          "Nothing," he got up. "Are you ready to go?" I frowned, stood there in front of him and studied his facial expressions for a second.