Chapter 3 - The Boxer's Last Fight

Answer the question with a question not a statement, it will make Alvin, feel more empowered. Paul deliberately cleared his throat to appear a little nervous and scratched his chin adding more body language to the façade.

             “Well,” Paul cleared his throat again, “I feel lost, and like I have no purpose in life how can I change that?” That was weak.

            Alvin offered a weak smile, “Many people feel like that, but they do not choose to come here like you did unfortunately.”

            Paul looked Alvin in the eye and for a moment thought he saw something, something sinister and maybe the feeling was mutual. The pastor was not like his victims at all.

You think I’m deceiving you Alvin.

Alvin nodded respectfully, “I believe you Paul, and I would like to help you if you allow it.”

“Of course, I want to feel like I’m a part of something.”

“Then you will be Paul,” Alvin said, standing up and pressing a button on a keypad that unlocked the entrance door. “Now if you can excuse me, we will have to continue this in the near future.”

“Thank you again.”

The sun put up a valiant fight against the overwhelming clouds surrounding it. The darkness slowly but surely crept in consuming every bit of blue sky in its path until eventually the sky was a sea of dark grey. Paul watched in amazement as he sat on an old wooden chair holding a hot cup of herbal tea admiring the yard, which was shaping up tremendously with another five plants fixed in ready to be watered from above. It was a soothing feeling and he could finally recount his last victim with peace of mind going over every detail and making sure that he left no traces anywhere. It was the only way to start thinking of his next, Caesar, the big brute and leader of a gang of rag tag youths.

Caesar was no bully to Paul nor was he by any means an evil person; he just happened to be a good challenge physically. Paul hoped the feral rat possessed street smarts to make things more exciting. It is settled, I will kill you. Movies with Veena, church, exercise, work, reading, gardening. What a beautiful fucking week ahead. Is this the excitement people feel when they carry on about Friday arriving?

“Hey.”

            Paul noticed Carina before she said it, but wanted a little more time daydreaming so pretended not to. “What’s up?” He asked, faking a happy surprised expression.

            Carina stood holding a fruit smoothie in one hand and a DVD in the other. She had their mother’s brown hair, fair skin, and athletic figure. Paul enjoyed training with his sister because they kept pushing each other to go harder and break through plateaus. “Just finished studying and thought I’d drop by and watch a movie with you. Wanted to come and hang out here for a bit.”

            And I Just finished gardening, and wanted to go and watch Caesar for a bit to learn his routine better. But, hey, a movie sounds good. Movies at church, movies with Veena, now a movie with Carina…these people are driving me fucking crazy with their movies.

            “Let’s put it on, I need to shower first,” Paul said, tugging at his sweaty shirt.

            “Okay, hurry up,” Carina looked around the yard, “Wow, you’ve been busy.”

            I never stop. I’m a busy bee.

            “Then I’ll need to make food, I’m starving,” Paul said.