Chapter 13

To Tiny_Tim for following Paul Lantar. 

The ageing Mayor was holding frequent media conferences trying to lighten the government’s image that was quickly being tarnished by the chaos erupting throughout the city of Contro home to a million people. There was already large public outcry for the mayor to be removed especially after the deputy mayor was killed. 

Paul, his siblings, and Veena watched Pastor Alvin make television appearances urging the public to work together to make the city safer and demand taxes to improve law enforcement. Despite being the head of a new age church he was getting great attention from the majority of the cities residents.

Things were weird as usual ever since the hotel Jackson had nothing but bad luck with girls and he was usually a ladies man. Seeing Paul with Veena pissed him off, and Paul was starting to outrun him in their training the rivalry was escalating. Storm season was here and to top it off Veena was coming down with a fever, which made it perfect for Paul to slip in and out as he pleased using tension with Jackson as an excuse.

“Nice,” Fash looked around the unit.

“Thought you might like it, probably not as good as the one you’re in now though,” Paul poured her a glass of water.

“No it’s good, honestly I like it.”

Dozens of phone calls, secrecy, and mini dates had led to this moment. Paul was battling all urges, balancing his whole life to claim this ultimate prize.

“Cool, just thought it might be better for you, since you’re not allowed to date people on assignments ha,” he eyed her briefcase, wishing he could read the contents.

“I like your style, and no you can’t read my case info,” she poked her tongue out, simultaneously moving the brief case aside with her foot.

Mind reader?

 “So how old are you?” My turn to ask. 

“Old enough to date.”

“Touché,” Paul sipped his water, “How was work today? Any luck?”

 “None, that serial killer I told you about, he is brilliant.”

 Stop it you’ll make me blush!

 “I bet you’re smart enough to get him,” Paul put his arm around Fash as they sat on the couch facing the ocean

The unit was thanks to Paul’s savings; luckily Trish had given him a pay rise. Nearly everything so far that Paul had told Fash was the truth, and it seemed just what she was looking for a normal guy, with a normal job. Naturally he didn’t mention anything about Veena, or his extracurricular activities. The unit wasn’t as nice as the one he shared with his girlfriend and siblings recently, but it was perfect for the situation at hand.

Fash made herself comfortable, stripping down to her bikini and turning on the spa bath, “Are you hopping in, it’s nice?”

“Sure,” Paul called out from the kitchen as he placed ice cubes in their drug free cokes.

Room Service.

Paul handed Fash her and joined her in the spa, she wasn’t shy about huddling up to him. She placed a leg over his and sipped her coke, “This is really weird I never find guys I that are so nice.”

“Stop it,” Paul put his arm around her again, he’d practiced this technique a lot now with Veena.

“And you have to let me contribute to the unit,” Fash smiled, she was independent and absolutely people doing things for her.