Chapter 6

It was freezing cold, and the room was pitch black. Paul lay still absorbing the chilli atmosphere. Veena’s smooth leg was over his, and it was entirely bad it felt quite nice. Every now and then she would move it slightly, as if to draw him closer. His mind was elsewhere though trying to think of everything to appear as normal, as possible and drop his noticeably meticulous ways.

 The investigation was two weeks in, and Bill Darsen had already connected Caesar to the serial murders. Paul was intrigued how he had pieced together the third part of the puzzle so quickly. Though thankfully number one the backpacker wasn’t a piece to be added yet. This wasn’t a surprise the backpacker was travelling around the country for a few more months, as far as his family knew.

He was also certain Alvin’s right hand man; Angelo had been following him since Paul’s last encounter with the head of the church. He didn’t like it one bit, but also had no proof if he was being paranoid, or not. All he knew was that he needed to keep him away from Veena, and Carina.

Veena placed a hand on his chest, and he didn’t even cringe.

Just keep it there.

So far Paul had managed to bearably participate in the day-to-day activities of his peers. This meant training with both Veena, and Carina, getting frozen cokes, watching movies, being in photos, making a Facebook profile, and going to poetry readings. Building a network of friends through his sister had also become a necessity, much to his displeasure. Carina gladly invited Paul along to their hangouts, when he told her he needed some guy friends so Veena didn’t think he was a weirdo.

Veena’s hand moved down a notch toward his stomach region.

 You were doing fine before.

He was currently studying different ways of controlling, and manipulating the people around him better. One technique he was trying was to develop someone’s self value. The theory was that if you were part of a person’s personal development they would feel more attached to you, and were more likely to be easier to manipulate. Veena was the human guinea pig unknowingly.

Paul’s thoughts shifted back to Bill Darsen extraordinaire. How did you do it so quickly?

 Veena’s hand moved down again, this time closer to his groin region.

 Okay probably not appropriate to think of Bill Darsen right now. Does she have to do this every time I’m thinking?

 The bald unorthodox criminologist who specialized in serial killers could wait until morning to enter Paul’s mind.

“Paul wake up!” Carina’s voice echoed. 

His eyes stirred, and he used a free hand to shield his face from the sunlight that beamed through the blinds his sister just opened.  Paul looked down at himself, and Veena they were both naked with no sheets on.

“Hey!” he stretched the sheet from under Veena to cover his privates.

“Grow up, I’ve seen it before,” Carina rolled her eyes, “Guess who is downstairs?”

“Who?”

“Jackson!”

Paul rubbed his eyes, “Can you stop yelling?”

Carina jumped up and down with excitement, Jackson their older brother who had been holidaying overseas for the last six months.

Great another person to appear normal for.

Paul made his way to the table for breakfast with the family. His brother shook his hand excited to see him, “Hey Paul…got a girl up there I hear, good man,” he pulled a chair out for Paul to sit on.