Chapter 15

To Emmiie for letting me in the circle! 

Hypocrite.

 Paul watched Alvin sitting amongst the mourners at Trish’s funeral. The deputy mayor; soon to be mayor, revealed an executive decision to the press  to attend the young woman’s funeral, due to the high profile nature of the investigation. The dyed blonde haired council member was wedged between his two newly appointed bodyguards. One of the protectors was a huge African man equipped with not one, but two service revolvers, the other a broad pasty white guy with no visible weapon. To the city he was there to represent the people, and pay his respects to the victim and her family. Alvin pulled off a brilliant mourning face. 

The only expression Paul bore was that of envy, How do you do that so well? And you're only here to showface. 

Veena squeezed his hand tight as they sat in the old church, Trisha wasn’t religious but her parent’s were so they did it their way. Paul couldn’t understand the whole concept; paying a huge sum of money for a casket, fees, prayers, all for a lifeless body? It seemed like a huge waste of time.

 He did marvel at the building it was built well; the old long wooden chairs stonewalls the architecture was immaculate. Paul loved it; good craftsmanship is to be admired. Trisha’s best friend got up and read a eulogy sending the whole front row of close family, and friends into heavy sobs. Veena nudged Paul’s attention away from the ceiling with an elbow.

 How did they build this?

 “Sorry.”

 “Listen,” Veena whispered through tears.

 Why the fuck is she crying for she met her once maybe?

 “I said sorry,” let me marvel.  

After the service Paul, and Veena waited outside in the parking lot surrounded by old overgrown hedges, while the grieving family thanked the deputy mayor for attending. Unknown to them he just killed their daughter, but he had to get his good image out there. Alvin shook Trish’s fathers hand and left toward Paul, with his two cronies following. “Paul,” Alvin smiled holding out a hand.

Fuck.

 “Alvin…nice to see you,” Paul couldn’t think of anything else to say, what could they possibly talk about in front of Veena?

 “Come by my office tomorrow afternoon, I’d like to talk to you about some things,” Alvin gave Veena a polite nod.

 “Ah okay,” how do I explain our relationship to my girlfriend? That reminds me Fash!

 Veena squeezed Paul's hand so tight he thought for a moment she was trying to break it, “How the hell do you know the deputy mayor?” Veena quizzed as soon as Alvin walked out of hearing range. 

“Long story.”

 “Tell me? I don’t like that guy he is too sly I don’t trust a word he says I don’t care if he is a church pastor,”

 “Before I met you, I use to hang out at the youth group in his church okay?” Paul was irritated he felt like Veena was a cop right now he imagined her as Fash, “I just did it to help out.”

 “Okay you don’t have to get snappy mister. I was only asking, I need a smoke, let go somewhere else,” she tapped a cigarette on her hand impatiently and looked at Paul again.

 Finally.

 The air-conditioning was driving Paul insane he kept switching it on and off, much to the annoyance of Veena. He’d made no progress with Fash besides dirty deeds, and he was thirsting for a new person to snuff the life out of. The insanity was overwhelming.