Chapter 24

I dreaded waking up this morning and I dreaded dragging myself to school. But mostly, I dreaded bumping into Harmony. Now, standing in front of her, I can see how much of a mistake I made trying to ignore her. But I can't help but ignore her or avoid her. It's too difficult seeing her and thinking that she ditched me for a guy. She ditched me for a guy? How could she?! I mean, we've been best friends for ever. I don't understand how...

"Kristen... it feels like I haven't seen you in ages. You've been avoiding me." Harmony cuts to the chase. Oh gosh... no pun intended.

"You got straight to the point didn't you?"

"You know me Kristen. I've never been a fan of patience."

"Or friends either." I throw back at her.

"Kristen, you know I didn't want this to happen. C'mon, you know I didn't want this."

"Want what exactly?"

"You to hate me."

"I don't hate you Harmony. I could never hate you."

"Well you sure act like you do." I stare at her with an emotionless expression. "Kristen... please. I just want things to be like they used to. Can't we go back?"

"I don't know Harms. I just... need some time to think."

Then I push past her and walk to my next class. But unfortunately the peace doesn't last. I run straight into Bridgette as soon as the door of my class comes into view. "Kristen wait up!" She calls behind me.

"Bridge, I'm not in the mood to talk and I have class."

"Well ok. Let's catch up after school then? Or maybe on the weekend?"

"No Bridgette."

"What?"

"Everything isn't fine. Things haven't magically gotten better. I need some space. Ok?"

"I get it Kristen. But you can't keep doing this forever. Because I love you Kristen, and you're my best friend. I would never do anything to hurt you intentionally."

"No, you'd just hurt me 'unintentionally'? You knew keeping that secret was wrong. That's why you were bribed with Dylan. If it was the right thing, you wouldn't have needed a bribe." The second bell rings and she jumps, obviously she wasn't paying much attention to everything else.

"I'm sorry Kristen." She says and we both part ways.

***

The rest of the day goes without drama and without Kyle. He doesn't show up to school today. I don't really know why, I guess I'll call him later. Sierra bumps into me after school. "Sierra, can I ask a favour of you?"

"Uh yeah sure!" She says bubbly.

"My brothers a patient at a hospital and I haven't visited him yet. I've sorta been wanting to but I don't think I could go alone."

"What about Kyle?"

"Kyle and him don't really have the best relationship."

"Well, I'd love to come with you."

And with that, she leads me to her luxurious light sky blue car and we head to Louis' hospital.

The drive is less than an hour and the hospital is about half way between Lingard and home. The reception area has faded purple walls and blue trimming. The room is quite depressing actually. A chocolate lady with beautiful dark hair and bright eyes greets us. "I'm Louis Editorian's sister. I've been hoping to see him?" I say to her.