Chapter 56

Kyle was back in hospital before he got a chance leave. So many machines are attached to him. Dr. Russell tells Toby and I that because he already had a concussion, the hit in the head isn't what caused him to lose consciousness. "His brain has swelled up because of the trauma. His Reticular Activating System has been damaged."

"What does that mean?!"

"It means he's comatose."

"For how long?!" I exclaim.

"Kristen, calm down. Kyle is going to be ok," Toby says and rubs my arms up and down.

"We cannot accurately predict how long he will be in this state," Dr. Russell says. 

A strangled gasp escapes me.

"C'mon Kyle. C'mon Kyle," I say and shake his hand. No response.

"Why don't you go home Kris. I'll look after him." Toby says.

"No." I sit down beside Kyle. "I'm staying."

"Ok." Toby gives up. "I'm going to go get you a coffee."

"Don't be gone for long," I whisper.

Toby leaves. Dr. Russell does some more tests and then leaves too. On his way out he adds, "He's young and healthy. I'm sure he'll wake up soon."

Finally, I'm alone with Kyle. I break out in tears all over again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I love you. I need you. You need to wake up. You need to come back to me. Kyle, baby, please."

Thanks to the coffee Toby gave me, I have the energy to stay up all night and watch Kyle. The next morning, the nurses come in to check him but he has no signs of differentiation. So far, he's not a permanantly damaged. There's still hope.

Toby doesn't stay all day. He goes off to work and comes back with coffee for me. He's not allowed coffee. Which reminds me that he has a doctor's appointment. "Go to your appointment." I mumble blearily.

"It's fine. Why don't you go home and shower and have a rest-"

"No. Go to your appointment."

"Can you call your family please?"

"Go to your appointment."

"Ok. Call your family first." I call my family as he asks and tell Mum that I'm in the hospital for Kyle. I explain as much as I can. Once Toby leaves the room I tell her the rest. I tell her how afraid I was for both myself, and now, for Kyle. She tells me to come home. But I don't want to. I can't let Kyle wake up without me.

I let my head rest beside Kyle's lifeless arm. I must be dreaming now because Kyle has blue eyes and is wearing blue. He doesn't like blue shirts. And he is all healed. He looks funny with blue eyes. I see a mirror. I see myself. A noose drops from the infinite sky above me. A stranger pushes me forward, closer to the rope. Kyle is behind me too, but suddenly his wounds appear and he collapses onto the floor. I scream for him. I'm pushed again towards the rope. The world around me starts to disintegrate. Kyle falls into the abys. I am punched in my stomach till I can't breathe and I'm pushed forward. I scream again.

I'm being shaken. My dream fades away and Toby's worried eyes land on mine. "Kristen, Kristen, it's just a dream." I whimper and then look around. I'm back in the hospital, Kyle is lying in front of me and Toby is standing beside where I am sitting. "It's ok."

"How did you know...?"

"You were screaming."

"Oh. That's embarrassing."