Chapter Four

(Levi's POV)

Damn brat, was he trying to get himself killed back there? We got the cockatrice foot off of him, but the wounds on his chest were deep. Hanji used some things from her bag to try and slow down the bleeding so he hopefully would make it back to the camping grounds; where Hanji would be able to stitch him up. I was stuck with the task of carrying him, but thankfully Hanji took my bag so I didn't have to worry about that.

"I can't believe Eren actually opened his eyes. If his sunglasses hadn't started turning the cockatrice to stone he would be a statue right now." Hanji exclaimed. We were close to the camp ground already.

"I think that was his idea." I responded. Hanji gave me a quizzical look before running ahead of me to get everything ready. "Brat, I don't think I have ever met someone as stupid and reckless as you before." I said to an unconscious Eren.

When I made it to the tent I put Eren inside and let Hanji stitch him up; while I waited outside. The wait seemed to take forever, but Hanji finally exited the tent.

"I think you should take him to a hospital. We can drop him off and get out of here. I'll start packing everything up." She suggested. I nodded and walked into the tent and picked up Eren again. I put him in the passenger seat, and started heading towards the closest hospital. When I got to the hospital I carried Eren into the emergency room entrance and went to the desk.

"I found him at the Comanche National Grassland, I think he was attacked by something. He was bleeding really bad when I found him."

"What? That's almost an hour away." The woman behind the desk said as she notified the doctors there was an emergency.

"A friend of mine is a doctor and did a small amount of stitching to slow his bleeding, so we would be able to make it here." Just as I finished explaining; a few nurses rushed in and started leading me to the room where I could lay Eren down on a bed. After that I was lead out of the area and back into the waiting room I had entered into a few minutes before.

"Sir, could you explain to me what happened?" A nurse asked me.

"I found him unconscious just off the side of a trail. Once I noticed he was bleeding I took him back to where I was camping with my friend; where she gave him a few stitches so he would make it to the hospital. Then I drove him here." I just hope that Eren doesn't say something else when he wakes up.

"Could you fill this out for us? It's just getting a statement down on paper of what happened." The nurse said handing me a paper with a clipboard and a pen. This wasn't the first time I had to fill out one of these, and the only hard part was picking out a fake name to use. I just hope that the brat knows better than trying to tell the truth. All it would do is end him up in the psych ward. Hanji is probably destroying the cockatrice statue right now.

After I finished filling out the form I handed it to the person behind the desk and left. It didn't take me long to get back and find Hanji already packed up and ready to go. I started feeling guilt wash over me, but why would I be feeling guilty? I saved that kid's life, and many others by killing that cockatrice, but something still doesn't feel right.

"What's wrong Levi?" Hanji asked as she got into the passenger seat. I turned to look at her and noticed the seat she was sitting in was covered in blood. Damn it! I love this car.

"The only thing wrong is your seat." I told her. She looked around towards the seat and noticed the blood.

"Let's make a deal, if I clean this seat will you tell me what is wrong?" Hanji looked at me raising an eyebrow.

"Sure, but if you miss a spot I am keeping my mouth shut." Even though I didn't plan on telling her anything I let her have her fun. Knowing her though she will get me to talk eventually; she always does. The best thing I can do is get her occupied until I can come up with a believable lie.

"Okay Levi, I'm done cleaning. Now you must tell me what it is that is bothering you?" Hanji stated happily. A voice in the back of my head started telling me to tell her the truth.

"Do you really think we should just leave Eren? Maybe we should-" I said before I was able to close my mouth.

"'Maybe we should' what?" Hanji asked.

"Maybe we should wait until Eren wakes up and make sure he really is okay." I let out with a sigh. It felt weird for me to care about someone so much. Normally Hanji and I made sure to get out of there before the aftershock hit, but I couldn't leave Eren with all that had happened to him. Even when I had done it many times before.

"LEVI!!!" Hanji screamed in excitement. I looked away and covered my face. Why do I keep her around? I asked myself; not really considering the question. "We better head back to the hospital right away then." Hanji said buckling up.

~ ~ ~

"Well how's the brat doing?" I asked my partner as she entered the car that was parked across from the hospital.

"He's doing fine, but I don't understand why we can't just go in there and see him. I was really hoping to see him when he wakes up." She said sadly. I started driving back to the hotel; not really paying attention to what she was saying. It's good to know that he's okay.