A daydream away (Luke)

Listen to the song on the side whilst reading this, this one shot is based on 'A daydream away' by All Time Low.

Friend: \ˈfrend\ (noun) one attached to another by affection or esteem.

You chuckle as you read Webster's definition of the word.

Luke Hemmings was so much more than that.

You couldn't even begin to describe Luke. He was tall with the longest legs you had ever seen, had blonde hair that looked like he had been swept up in a tornado, blue eyes that could rival the clarity of any ocean.

Word's just didn't do Luke justice.

He was an onion, you had to peel him back one layer at a time. And after years of friendship you had reached the core.

His deep voice broke you out of your trance, shifting your attention back to him.

It was a Tuesday, and you were sat with him in his kitchen. A computer placed in his lap. It was typical for you, the two of you, to spend days like this. Except this Tuesday wasn't just any day. It was the last day.

"How cool is this?" He marvels, pointing at the screen with his pointer finger. You nod and smile, but not at what's on the screen, you're smiling at Luke.

He's over the moon with excitement. His knee bouncing up and down as he talks. He's owned those pants forever, a slight hole had formed in the knee and he thought it was cool and wore it biweekly since that day almost a year ago, the whole growing in size. His hands splay out around him, emphasizing his words, long thin fingers telling their own story. His lip twitch upward as he fights a smile, clearly ecstatic about the near future. You're happy for him, you really are.

"It's the biggest venue that we'll probably ever play!" You wish he could see his face. How the thought of his dream coming true lights up his eyes, as they crinkle at the corners. The blue almost glistens, turning oceanic; rivaling every postcard and picture ever taken. His dimples are on full show; deep valleys in his cheek showcasing how happy he truly was. It was a beautiful scene. He was a beautiful scene.

Luke was leaving tomorrow, everything was changing. And his return was undetermined. Everything was up in the air. But it didn't really matter to you.

You would miss him, of course. He was your best friend. So much more than your best friend. But this was his dream, the dream he had worked so hard towards, and who were you to hold him back from it.

He continues on eagerly showing you new cities and places and venues he was about to experience, and your mind begins to wander again. Back to the years you had spent with him, the seemingly simple moments you would now give anything to get back.

The sound of Luke laughing as you both sat on a bench in town, observing the crazy world and people around you. The way he would squeeze his eyes shut, while shaking his head, trapping some of his fringe under his thick eyelashes. His hand would shoot to his mouth, covering up the giggles escaping his lips.

You flash to all of the times he took care of you. When you would cry how he would shush you and pull you into his chest. His long fingers would curl into your hair, smoothing each and every strand. He wouldn't care about his tear stained t-shirt, instead offering you one of his own, and bringing you into his bed, singing you to sleep.

Luke Hemmings was one of a kind. You would never find anyone remotely similar to his extraordinary existence. No one would measure up.

You commit all of these experiences to memory, allowing yourself to drift back into the present. He's shutting the lid to the laptop, pushing it away as he helps you to your feet. He starts talking about how much he's going to miss you, and miss all of the things he can only do with you.