The Boy At The Coffee Shop (Calum)

A Calum one, holy shIT. Oh and it's by @SexehLou :)

He came in every day without a doubt, rugged up in a warm jacket, gloves and a beanie in winter and shorts, singlet and thongs in summer, ordering the same drink regardless of the weather. He had been doing this for 3 years now, he was tall, taller than the average male, his skin a lovely tanned colour, his eyes a deep brown and his hair a raven black, styled in many ways over the years he had entered the coffee shop. We only ever spoke in the first three months, when he would ask for a double shot caramel espresso with whole milk slightly on the cooler side with 3 sugars, and when I said “just a moment” he would reply with a thank you. Eventually I just told him to sit down and I would bring his coffee to him, and he replied with a thank you, once again, knowing now he was a regular customer, and we hadn’t spoken again since that point.

It was winter; he walked in again, rugged up, this time with a scarf around his neck and a wet umbrella dripping on the shop floor. I smiled lightly at him, and he returned the gesture, taking his regular seat by the far window in the corner, where he would sit and write things, nibbling on the tip of his pencil and occasionally looking up at me and raising his hand for another coffee. The tips he left me were more than generous, especially since our shop didn’t even accept tips.

He pulled out his chair, the metal screeching against the tiled floor, echoing the small town shop interior and annoying other customers. I brought over his coffee to him, and he looked up with a smile, and then down again as soon as I let go of the cup, scribbling words or musical notes down. He usually came in at the same time, 10.00am, it had been like this since the second day he arrived, 10.00am sharp, sometimes a little earlier, not that I minded, and he stayed for a little over an hour, and when he’d leave, he’d leave a small scrawled thank you on a post it note on the table, which I would keep and post into a scrap book.

I usually kept small things people gave to me, not to be weird or abnormal, but rather cherish the moment forever in the scrap book I kept hidden under my bed. I hadn’t many friends, and that didn’t bother me, the few I did have meant everything to me, and this boy, the coffee boy, named Calum did too. I didn’t know him, but he had become a constant in my life, a blessing and a stable part of me that I hoped would never leave. He seemed smart, but I didn’t know, not that I minded if he wasn’t, but he came off that way, he was strong and powerful and seemed like the type of guy that would protect you and love you no matter what, he was what I needed.

I spent hours like this, day dreaming about him, hoping he was doing the same, that the things that he wrote on those hundreds of slips of paper were love letters for me that he would post to me one day in a romantic gesture and we’d fall madly in love together and live happily. Not marriage though, I didn’t like marriage, but my views could change, depending on what he wanted.

(Y/F/N), my long-time friend worked with me, she didn’t make his coffees, as I demanded I did, and she agreed reluctantly because she knew I wasn’t quite trained on how, but he enjoyed it. So since then, (Y/F/N) let me, under a watchful eye, make his coffees, because he was my customer, and I was his barrister. A part of me wondered that if he had come in that day, and I didn’t serve him, if something similar to the relationship we had now would have occurred, and part of me said it wouldn’t have, which is the reason- I assumed- I was so possessive of my small town coffee boy.

He didn’t talk to anyone when he came in, in fact, the only person he showed any signs of interaction with was me, (Y/F/N) had attempted once, but gave up quickly, in realising that he was as much of a talker as she was a smoker, which was not one at all. And that pleased me, he didn’t want any other interaction but with me and I guess that is what made this coffee shop romance so perfect, because in this coffee shop, there was only he and I.