Chapter 5: A Lifetime Vow

((Ciel's POV))

It was over...

In an instant, it was all over...

I was no match for these demons. I had let Lu down. The succubus Karis had kept me well distracted from the blue demon, who had drawn a seal and started casting a spell. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of light and moved in front of Lu. Then it hit me...

I heard someone's shout... By that time, my chest was burning and I was falling. I barely registered when I actually hit the ground. After a few moments, the burning had cooled down completely. 'Is this really the end...?' I thought to myself as I reached for the full moon above me. My eyes became heavier, and I succumbed to this, letting the darkness envelope me. Right before I completely passed away, I felt a small hand grab my arm. 'Lu... I'm sorry... I didn't want to go yet...'

((Lu's POV))

I felt myself tearing up as I saw Ciel fall to the ground. I got up and ran to him, seeing him reach out for nothing. He was still alive.

"Ciel!! I sobbed. He was precious to me... I had only met him that day, but he was the only one who had taken care of me when I first arrived in Elrios. He hadn't left me to die. He didn't abandon me as soon as I was well. He stayed with me the entire time. He showed me kindness when no one else would have. Now, I couldn't repay that...

He was still alive, there was still hope. Karis snickered and walked towards him, lifting her scythe, about to strike and finish him off. I had to act quickly. I scrambled to my feet and grabbed his arm...

((Ciel's POV))

When I opened my eyes, I was in a blue dimension. I looked around, and saw the same blue glow everywhere.

"Where... is this  place? Have I died...? I remember shielding her..."

"No, not yet. But you will be soon." I heard a voice a turned around to see Lu, glowing in a much lighter shade of the blue that surrounded us. She took a few steps towards me.

"I've bought us some time, but if we don't act quickly, your life WILL end. I... I remember everything now. My name is Luciela R. Sourcream. I once was one of the high ranking monarchs that ruled over the demon world, but that's all but gone now. Heh, I'm no better than one of my subjects now, so I'll ask you up front. Won't you become one with me? You won't be able to live a normal life as a human anymore, but I can give you a life by my side as a demon." She said with urgency in her voice. I was confused to say the least... What exactly was she asking me?

"It's difficult for me to explain and you to understand right now, but you'll understand in due time and this is your only option. I've lost everything... Status... Power... Honor... Everything... The only thing I have left... Is you..." She said, putting her hand on my chest. In that moment, I understood everything...

((Lu's POV))

There was only one way to tell him everything he needed to know about me. I casted a small spell and put my hand on his chest, transferring my memory to him and, in turn, his memory to me.

He was a poor boy, living with a loving mother and father. Despite living in poverty, they were quite happy. That is, until one day, when his family was invaded by bandits. His father had shoved his mother and him into an empty room, telling them to hide. They nodded in agreement and gladly stayed quiet. There were gunshots... Lots of them... He almost cried out for his father, but his mother, who was in tears, covered his mouth and shook her head. She stood up and looked around. There was only one place safe for her son...

She picked him up and put him on the sill of an open window. Whispering to him to run, he started crying, but nodded and obeyed. As soon as he dropped down, his mother turned around. More gunshots. Ciel's eyes widened with fear and turned and ran from the house. He was alone...

As the years went by, he lived on the streets. Somehow, he found his way into the underworld. He was desperate to live, and did anything he could to survive, leading him to be one of the most well known assassins. That was how he lived...

As I took my hand away, I noticed I was tearing up more. I blinked, trying to hold back my tears, but, instead they fell.

"I was once of power, and it was precious to me, and here I am about to lose something that's even more precious to me than my own power ever was. I'm sick of it!! Please, please become one with me!!! If I lose you, I... I..." I said, falling into hysterics. That was until I felt a hand on my head. Looking up, I saw Ciel smiling down at me.

"While I adore cute things, I can't stand the sight of a girl crying. Surely, if I didn't accept your offer, you'll keep crying. I guess I have no choice, even if it means I can never live my life like I once could. I should listen to anything you have to say, if you're saving my life." He said softly. I smiled through my tears with a slight laugh. At the laugh, he looked at me in confusion.

"Then it's settled. You've made a great choice for a master!"

"M-Master...?"

"Don't worry about the details. For now, the contract is complete! From this day forward, your soul is mine, and my soul is yours until the moment our destinies end!!"

"Ah, until our destinies end..." With the echo of my words, the realm around us flashed an intense white light, bringing us back to reality.