Chapter 2| Three Years Later

Alejandro was in the office of the mansion with his cousin, Antonio and two uncles, Roman and Mario. It's been three years since the death of Maria and Salvador. And just like they promised, Mario and Roman took care of their brothers children.

Once everyone was told that the head of the Desamparada family had passed, his son, Alejandro took over and was proclaimed the head of the family. And just like before, Alejandro and his uncles did everything they could to keep Mirabella out of the world of crime. But now that it was a two days before her twenty first birthday they had do step up to what Salvador asked of them.

"So should we tell her today or tomorrow?" Roman asked, as he poured himself a glass of whiskey.

Alejandro ran a hand through his hair, as he leaned forward and placed his hands upon the desk. In his head he thought that it would be a good idea to tell her on the same day as her birthday. Why? Because that way she wouldn't have time to think of an escape plan. And if he knew his sister, then he knew she would come up with a plan if they told her before her birthday. "On her birthday," he said.

There was a long pause as they all looked at each other. If this was going to go as planned then everything would be fine. But if not, then it was going to be hell for everyone.

••••

The morning sun had kissed her awake. Slivers of light peeped through the drawn blinds, casting thin golden stripes across her angelic face. She turned over in her bed, and pulled the covers over her head to block out the sunlight that was shining on her face.

And then, out of nowhere, she felt a sudden force on her head. She only knew one person who would do such a thing. "VANESSA JUANITA DESAMPARADA, What's your problem!" She yelled, as she pushed the covers off her head so she could look at her cousin. Vanessa was beautiful. She use to have dark brown hair, but she dyed it a few days ago, and now her roots were the same dark brown, but the colour faded into a light brown and then to a caramel colour.

Mirabella hated when someone woke her up early in the morning. "Get ready, cousin," said Vanessa, as she walked towards the door. "We're leaving in 20 minutes."

Mirabella closed her eyes and sighed at the sound of the door closing. She sat up, looked around her bedroom in silence, before she got up off the bed and got ready.

"That was funny," Mirabella heard as her two cousins were talking about something at the breakfast table. Mirabella sat down next to Vanessa, opposite Antonio, her cousin and brother to Vanessa. Antonio was handsome and mischievous. When they were children they would set traps around just to prank their parents and other family members. Antonio had brown hair, sun-kissed skin and brown eyes. Antonio may have been eighteen, but he had the mind of an eight year old.

"Good morning, beautiful cousin" greeted Antonio.

Mirabella shot him a grumpy frown, and Antonio's brow shot up. "Never mind. I take that back" he murmured, sarcastically as he grabbed his glass of orange juice.

Once the two girls finished their breakfast, they grabbed their bags and headed to the bus stop to wait for the bus.

••••

It was around six twenty in the afternoon when Mirabella and Vanessa were about to leave work and go home. It's been a very long day for Mirabella, and all she wanted to do was just sit down and forget about everything that happened at work.