Chapter 4 • Nonna

It's been ta week since Mirabella's birthday, and the show was just about to begin. But ever since her birthday she did not utter a single word of the man who stole away her beloved freedom.

Her family, on the other hand, couldn't stop the chatter. All they talked about was Daniel and how their two families were close and how many fun memories they all had together. And it wasn't just Mirabella who had to put up with this, but Daniel had to go through it too. It almost felt planned at times. Whenever Daniel entered a room, Mirabella's name was mentioned in a conversation. And whenever Mirabella entered a room, the mention of Daniel was heard in a conversation and she would keep quiet and shut out the whole world by listening to music.

"That's odd," said Mirabella, as her and Vanessa sat down at the table.

"What is?"

"Dave giving us three days off," Mirabella said, as she filled her plate with toast.

"Oh come off it," said Vanessa as she poured herself a glass of orange juice. "We should be celebrating. It's three days off."

Later on that day, Mirabella, Andrea and Vanessa were sitting outside in the garden, enjoying their day.

Mirabella had just finished talking to her boss, Dave if he would employ Andrea and since he met her during Mirabella's birthday, there was no interview needed. He told her that Andrea was to start in three days time.

"Bella," they heard Vanessa's dad call, as he stood in between the doorway of the balcony. "Come," he said, shortly before walking away.

Mirabella sighed as she stood up and followed him as he led the way. Something was telling her that she would hear bad news. It was like a slight punch in her guts that was almost like a warring. She shook her head and balled her hands into fists, and the feeling slowly faded away.

••••

What has this world come to? It was as though the whole entire universe was against her. It was quite. Too quiet as Mirabella stared at the three men in the room. She didn't know what to say because her mind wasn't thinking. Her mind felt as though it had stopped functioning. Mirabella blinked a few times, shook her head and broke the deathly silence. "So soon?" She asked, sounding breathless. "But I don't even know him. At least give me a few months to know him. Please."

Alejandro shook his head, sadly but didn't utter a word. Her godfather, Roman looked at his nephew and brother, searching for help, but they were avoiding his eyes. He closed his eyes, exhaled and opened his eyes to look at Mirabella. "We thought, that the sooner the better" he said, a hint of nervousness in his tone.

"When do I start with the planning then-"

"Don't worry your head about that," said uncle Mario. "Everything is being taken care of. You don't have to do anything."

Mirabella slowly nodded her head, before she asked, "when is it? Surly it can't be in a few weeks, can it?"

Suddenly, the atmosphere in the room changed. Mirabella saw the three of them tens at her question and the same feeling she had when coming to this room filled her up once more. But this time, it was much stronger. "What?" She asked.

Alejandro looked at his uncles for help, but they also had the same look on their faces as he did. How was he going to say this? There was only one way, but Mirabella wasn't going to take it easy. There was a long and unsettling pause as she waited for someone to speak. Alejandro took a deep and heavy breath and exhaled. "Tomorrow." He said.