Chapter 7 • Welcome To Your New Home

Mirabella was upstairs in her room, packing her things into her suitcase. The fairy lights in the room were glowing a warm colour and the balcony doors were wide open, letting in the cool breeze to flood the room, and the thin curtains danced to the rhythm of the wind.

The sun was gone, and a silver moon hung high up in the night sky. The once clear blue sky was now nothing but pitch black, and millions of small diamonds like sugar were scattered all over the sky. She could hear the sound of music, laughing and singing just below her balcony. She always knew that once she would be married her friends and family were going to celebrate for a few more days after the wedding.

The sound of her bedroom door opening caught her attention and she looked up from her almost-packed suitcase to see Vanessa and Andrea entering. "Need any help?" Vanessa asked.

Mirabella smiled and shook her head. She was almost done packing. The two girls found themselves seat and sat down; Vanessa sat down in the spinning chair and Andrea sat down on the bed.

••••

The next morning Mirabella woke up very early. So early that her alarm had one Mike hour before he could go off. She stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before she finally decided to roll out of bed and get ready.

Mirabella stood in the bathroom in front of the big mirror, brushing her long dark brown hair hair out before she walked back to the bedroom itself. "Oh, look it's my not so loving brother. What an unpleasant surprise," she said sarcastically. "Tell me brother, how happy are you that you're finally getting rid of me?"

Alejandro rolled his eyes at his sister. "I'm not trying to get rid of you, sister" he said, as he approached her.

"Right," Mirabella said. "You are getting rid of me. Sorry, my bad." She crossed her arms over her chest as she looked up at brother.

They competed with each other for a few moments, before Alejandro brushed his sister's tears away. Mirabella blinked. She was surprised that she didn't even notice she had been crying. "I'll miss you sister," Alejandro said.

Mirabella held her brother's gaze. She did not want to leave this house and everyone in it with anger and hate. She buried her head into her brother's chest and hugged him. "Yo también," She said.

(Me too)

They walked downstairs, and Mirabella could see that the front door was wide open. Once they reached the bottom of the staircase they walked towards the front door and everyone was waiting for her outside so they could say their goodbyes.

"Be safe," said her Godmother, as she hugged her tightly. "And let us know when you land." Mirabella nodded her head and smiled at the woman, before her Godmother pressed her thumb against Mirabella's forehead and done a cross.

Once everyone had said their goodbyes to Mirabella, she sat in the backseat of a black Mercedes that had black tinted windows and cream leather seats. Her brother sat in the driver seat and another young man sat in the passenger seat.

The doors closed and the engines were turned on. Mirabella waved to everyone outside and the car began to move.

••••

The airport looked more like a shopping centre. The tiles under foot gleamed white and everywhere were people milling around. There were plasma screens of arrival and departure times on the wall of the airport. People were lined up at the check in desk with suitcases and baggage. There was a sculpture of a whale with water cascading from it's mouth and flowing down it's tail flukes. In the background music played. In the arrivals lounge there was a curious mixture of bored and excited people. Some looked like they were waiting for a bus, others like they were children waiting for Santa himself. Some lounged on the low comfy chairs and others bounced on their toes.