Chapter 22 • The Devil Comes Here and Sighs

The last two weeks had been almost perfect. They had spent hours talking to each other, getting to know each other. She hated egg-yolks. He could not stand the smell of chamomile. She loved reading and watching the starts at night. He also preferred watching the stars at night. At each turn, he had found himself in awe of the woman that was his wife. He found himself respecting her more and more, adoring everything about her, even her flaws, even her weaknesses. Just as she accepted and adored everything about him.

They had grown quite close as well, though not as much as Daniel would have liked. He didn't tell her that, of course. Pushing her into something she was not prepared for was the last thing he wanted. Besides, he was willing to wait, even though it did get quite... troubling at times. Which was hardly his fault, he told himself. His wife was beautiful and he was not blind.

Mirabella squinted her eyes in the harsh light, and blinked a few times to adjust her eyes to the light, her eyes falling on the sleeping form of her husband and the night before flashed before her eyes.

She had a nightmare, where a man chased after her and she then fell off a cliff. She never had nightmares, except that one night.

••••

She was out of breath like she had been running for hours. She needed to sit down and take a few deep breaths, and that's when she reached a cliff. She looked up at the sky that turned grey and roared with thunder and lightning. A bring and purple glowing flash emerged from the sky, making her jump. And not even two seconds later big drops of rain came pouring down heavily.

She looked at the ocean waves as they clashed together like they were at war, before she turned to look behind her for a way off the cliff, but all she saw was a maze of trees. She knew if she entered that maze she wouldn't find a way out and loose her mind.

But then, someone emerged from the maze. She couldn't make out who it was, but she knew it was a man with drenched dark hair and shirt. And immediately she felt something deep within her shouting that it was him who she was running from.

She held her hand out as a sign telling him to not come any further. "Stay where you are," she said. "Don't come any closer." The man laughed as he continued to aproceh her, making her take a step back.

"Step away from there, Mirabella," he said. "Or you'll fall."

Mirabella continued to walk backwards, and shook her head. "No! Stay away!" She bellowed over the loud thunder. As she continued to step backwards her foot slipped off the edge of the cliff and she fell. Her scream was so loud that her voice echoed over the sea.

••••

A small smile graced her lips as she looked at Daniel, and realized that she was still clutching his hand, but she couldn't bring herself to let it go. Not even now. So she absently drew circles on the back of his hand with her thumb, content to just lie there and look at the steady rise and fall of his chest.

A few minutes later Daniel stirred, turning in his sleep so that his face was inches from hers. Her breath hitched in her throat at the closeness and before she could even move away, he groggily opened his eyes, only to have them locked with hers. "Morning," he mumbled sleepily.

"Good morning," Mirabella smiled.

Daniel's gaze flitted towards their locked hands and back again. "Can I have my hand back again?" he asked, a slight smirk forming on his face. Mirabella blushed, loosening her grip as Daniel slipped his hand away, only to brush aside a strand that had fallen on her face.