Chapter 18 • Actions Have consequences

The sun was already wide awake with a clear blue sky behind it. A low and cool breeze pushed over the land, but it wasn't enough to fight off the heat even though it was the early hours of the morning.

Knock
Knock

The sound of someone knocking on the window woke them up. Bruno stood outside waving his hand at Mirabella and Daniel with a mischievous smile on his face. "Wake up love birds," he said as he walked away from the car.

Daniel got out of the car to help with the tire, while Mirabella sat in the car quietly and waited.

"How did you like your five start hotel, cousin?" Bruno laughed, as they took off the flat tire and replaced it with a new one.

Daniel rolled his eyes. "I don't even know how we ended up here," he said.

"Maybe you got distracted," Bruno said slyly as he took the old tire to the back of the car.

"Maybe you need to shut up," Daniel said, checking the new tire and that it was placed on properly.

Bruno laughed as he walked to his cousin. "By the way," he began. "Your mother was asking for you." Daniel wanted the ground to swallow him whole. He threw his head back and sighed while Bruno laughed again.

••••

"Grazie, a Dio" Maria said, as she hugged her son.

(Thank, God)

They were standing in the courtyard of the villa, and Maria was giving both Mirabella and Daniel an earful. "You couldn't have called?" She asked them. "We didn't know if you were dead, or if something happened to you." She turned to Mirabella and shot her a cold glance. "You couldn't have waited one more hour?" She said. "What would you have done if something happened? It wouldn't have killed you to wait-"

"Okay," Daniel stepped in. "It happened. Let it pass now, Madre."

(Mother)

Maria opened her mouth to speak, but a maid came to the courtyard saying that Maria had someone on the phone who wanted to speak with her. Maria took one last look at Mirabella before she followed the maid to the phone.

Daniel watched as his mother disappeared around the corner. He shook his head and sighed before he turned to Mirabella to say something, but she beat him to it. "She hates me," she said. "I don't know why though. I haven't done anything, but she hates me."

"No," said Daniel. "She was just worried. She doesn't hate you."

Mirabella wanted to disagree and say that she was right and he was wrong. She shook her head and looked down at her hands before she turned around and walked away while Daniel stood still watching her as she walked out of the courtyard and to the staircase.

••••

It's a been a while, and Mirabella had just gotten out of the shower. She reached for the doorknob of the bathroom door. The steam from the hot water filled the bathroom like a cloud of smoke. She twisted the doorknob and pulled the door open inwards and bumped into something, or more like someone's chest. They held her close to their body, their arms were wrapped around her waist firmly.