Chapter 29 -Complications

Chapter 29 –Complications

"And remember when you were but few, and He multiplied you"

~Surah Al –Araaf, verse 86.

For the next few months, Waliya was confined to bed rest by her mother, mother in law and Doctor Patel. Eventually, after the news of her pregnancy spread like wild fire and people started visiting her, she kept hearing the same line repeated like a mantra: It is difficult, you need to have your bed rest, dear.

Waliya was frustrated with them all. She knew that they were all worried about her but to keep her confined to bed was doing nothing for her mood. She could understand if they wanted her to limit her stress and try to cut down some of her daily chores, but to not allow her to move was grating on her nerves.

After her 17th week check up, she was in the car and complained to Aahil about her boredom at home, and how she felt like her body had become lazy.

"Aaaaaahiil," she said, a slight pleading tone could be heard. "Please, please love. I don't want to go home yet. I need some exercise, love," she pleaded.

He gave her a stern look. It was a conversation that they had often, but he was worried about her. He loved his four little beans already, but his wife was his life. He couldn't imagine his life without her, he didn't want to imagine his life without her. Whenever she brought up the topic of going out and exercising, all he could hear bouncing around in his head was the doctor saying that multiple pregnancies are all different and that there are far too many risks.

"Aahil, pleeeease," she said looking at him earnestly. His heart was honestly breaking, he wished he could give in to her and let her go out and have all the joys she desired, but he didn't want her at harm. "You know that exercising is healthy. I promise, just give me ten minutes."

Glancing at the broken look on her face, Aahil gave in. Finding the nearest playground, he pulled off and went to open her door. "Come darling, you said you didn't want to go home now. Let's go sit on the swings and have some outdoor time," he said cheekily.

She rolled her eyes at him, but nonetheless she put one foot out and he helped her out of the car, taking care of her huge, bulging belly. He placed his one arm around her waist while he held her other hand in his own, and walked with her slowly to the swings. "Sit," he instructed as he went behind her and started pushing her on the swing. "I'm scared, baby," he admitted to her as he pushed her gently.

Few other kids milled around on the other equipment, but Aahil paid them no mind as he tried opening up to Waliya. He had to tell her what was festering on his heart before it all exploded and hurt her on the day when she could be already emotionally distraught. Love was based on truthfulness, and honesty.

"Why?" she asked quietly.

"Because I love you," he answered. He knew he might have just confused her, but patience was the key. "I know that every day we make dua that we have righteous children, that they grow up being flag bearers of our Deen. I know that we make dua that they are healthy and safe from Shaytaan's influence. But baby," he said and gulped. "The doctor said that multiple pregnancies are difficult and I don't know why but that comment has been running through my head since I heard. I am worried that something will happen to you, or one of the babies and I won't be able to do anything that can help."

Taking him by surprise, Waliya stopped the swing and got off to go to his side. There, she reached on her toes and held his face in her hands. "You can always help me, or our babies, love," she whispered as she looked straight into his eyes. "You can make the difference, baby. You just need to make dua for us, all of us. You know that dua has the power to change so many things, love. Just keep making dua for us."