Chapter 7 -Shopping

Chapter 7 -Shopping

Narrated Sahl bin Sad {R.A}: The Prophet {S.AW} said to a man, "Marry, even with (a mahr equal to) an iron ring."

-Sahih Bukhari

"What girl doesn't like shopping?" Asmaa asked Waliya slightly angrily.

Waliya shrugged. "A normal one?" she asked with a small smile.

Asmaa, who despite being friends with Waliya for so long, could not understand her intense dislike for shopping. She looked at Jade and Christina for help. Christina, without a doubt, wholeheartedly agreed with Asmaa. "No, there is no such thing as a 'normal' girl who doesn't like shopping!" Asmaa argued.

"No, don't even think of arguing further, Wals," Christina said quickly. "You hate shopping! And there are tons of other girls that absolutely adore shopping!"

Waliya rolled her eyes. "Look, just because I don't like shopping doesn't mean I am not normal. It just means that I am not obsessed with spending thousands of rands for something that is in fashion this season and then be upset next season when I find out that it is out of fashion. I believe in comfort over style. It is truly as simple as that. Nothing more complicated," Waliya said. Then when she saw a pair of jeans that looked completely amazing, she shrieked and ran towards it, frantically searching through the rack combing for her size. The others just rolled their eyes at her and laughed.

"Oh yeah," Asmaa teased. "You're definitely not obsessed," she teased sarcastically. Waliya turned her head and looked at Asmaa and stuck her tongue out before going back to perusing the jeans.

"And she's supposed to be getting married soon!" Jade teased.

"Whatever," Waliya answered half-heartedly. "I need jeans, okay?" she said defensively.

"No, you don't need jeans when you are wearing abaya full time," Asmaa said.

"Of course I do!" Waliya said, shocked that her friend would even mention that. "What am I supposed to wear underneath those abayas? Tights?"

They all nodded. "Oh shush," she said to Jade and Tina. "You guys haven't worn an abaya, okay?"

"It's the same thing as wearing a maxi dress, Wals," Tina pointed out unhelpfully.

"As if you wore maxi dresses, Tina," Waliya teased her.

"That's not being fair to me," Tina whined. "You know I hate them, but Jade has worn them enough that even I know what they're like. But coming back to the point, yes, you can actually wear them!"

"But tights are annoying," Waliya complained. "I mean, what is the point of them? To stick like second skins? Where is the modesty?" She shook her head. "You know what guys, I want to have a fashion show. I want to call it Modern Modesty, I think Muslim girls need it," she said brightening up with the idea.

They all stared at Waliya, pondering over the idea. "I like it," Jade said hesitant. "And I don't think it should be restricted to just Muslims," she added.

"Yeah, the world is losing its sense of modesty. The girls have no sensibility and freely display everything God has given them. I mean, they don't have to dress like nuns or anything -not that I have anything against nuns -but, I mean I don't need to know what your abs look like nor how much of cellulite you have flashing around as you walk," Tina said dramatically.

They laughed in sync. They knew exactly who Tina was talking about. There was a girl on their campus that would wear the shortest of shorts, yet her thighs jiggled as she sashayed in her high heels. It was not a sight anyone welcomed.