Chapter 3 -Meeting

Chapter 3 –Meeting

Narrated Ali bin Abi Talib {R.A}: The Messenger of Allah {S.A.W} said to him, “O Ali! Three are not to be delayed: Salaah when it is due, the funeral it is presented and (marriage) for the single woman when someone compatible is found.”

-At Tirmidhi 

“Waliya, it’s time,” Raihan said as he peeked into the kitchen. Staring at him with her wide eyes, she took a deep breath and passed him the tray of pastries while she carried the tea tray.

“Bhai?” she whispered as they walked. “Are you going to stay with us in there?”

He shook his head.  “No, little sister,” he offered her a smile on seeing her face drop. “We’ll sit in now, until they ask to have you and him speak,” he said.

At the door, he paused and looked at her. “Good luck, Waliya, you can do this,” he smiled encouragingly at her and then dropped a kiss on her cheek.

She nodded at him, took a deep breath and walked in with her head slightly lowered –so that she could see where she was walking. In a manner, it was also a delay tactic so that she didn’t have to see her potential spouse. “Assalaamualaikum,” she greeted, it was soft, but loud enough that they could all hear her.

“Wa’alaikumusalaam,” they greeted in unison.

Waliya blushed under the attention she received from the visitors, but she kept her head lowered. Guided by her mother, she went to the mother from among the guest. She lifted her eyes to look at the mother.

Husna Khan was as beautiful as women could come. Her fair skin shone like a full moon, her hair looked as if it was a coppery colour and her hazel eyes were bright. A smile graced her lips and she looked instantly friendlier. Not to forget the deep plum dress she wore, with a beige and gold scarf and matching cardigan to go over.  

“Assalaamualaikum,” Waliya greeted her shyly.

“Wa’alaikumusalaam,” Husna greeted softly. “Masha Allah, you are truly beautiful,” she spoke to Waliya.

Waliya’s cheeks coloured with red, and she could feel the heat rise up. “Jazakallah,” she said embarrassed.

Waliya then offered her a cup of tea from the tray, Husna took it gracefully and offered Waliya an encouraging smile. Despite not being there too long, Waliya’s arms were already sore. Next, she moved on to what she assumed to be the father. He was broad shouldered, with pitch black hair with slight greying in certain areas. Dressed in a formal black pants and plain and simple white shirt, he looked scarily intimidating. However, the friendly smile on his face relaxed her. She looked up once, as she offered the tea to him. “I am Nadeem,” he said and as she smiled and nodded, he added on indicating the young boy next to him, “And this is my younger son, Jawwaad, Aahil’s brother.”

She stepped to his side and offered the tea to the younger brother. He looked exactly like a mix of his mother and father. He had his mother’s hazel eyes, her fair skin and his father’s hair and slightly smaller build, yet by no means was he scrawny.

“Jazakallah,” he said, accepting the tea.

The last stop was the one she was dreading most. It was his stop. The man who had come with a proposal for her. The man who could possibly complete half of her Imaan. The man who could possibly be her lifelong companion, the one to help her attain Jannah.  With a silent, yet visible gulp, she walked over to him with the tray shaking very slightly in her hands.

When she reached him, she kept her eyes downcast, scared of what she might see. She was scared that he may decide to change his mind on seeing her. But, then she chastised herself, remembering that everything in this world is controlled by Allah’s Qadr. She held out the tray and he picked up his teacup, and very slowly dropped in two teaspoons of sugar. Then, in a very calm voice he spoke, “Jazakallah Waliya.”