Chapter 2 -Preparations

Chapter 2 –Preparations

Narrated Abdullah bin A’mr: The Prophet {S.A.W} said, “This world is but provisions, and there is no provision in this world better than a righteous wife.”

-Sunan ibn Majah

“Zakia apa!” Waliya shouted excitedly as her sister walked into the house. Zakia was the last one to enter the house, before her guests were meant to arrive. Farah, her husband Zain and their two sons, Anas and Mu’aaz were already here, including Waliya’s other half, Asmaa and not to forget, her older brother Raihan.

Zakia was grinning at her baby sister. She knew that Waliya was hiding her anxiety well behind a mask of excitement. “Waliya!” she yelled back and grabbed her sister in a bear hug, rocking them both side to side. “My baby sister is all grown up now! Entertaining proposals!” she joked, making Waliya even more nervous.

Next to them, Asmaa started laughing. “Assalaamualaikum,” Asmaa greeted teasingly.

“Wa’alaikumusalaam,” Zakia said as she let go of Waliya and hugged Asmaa next. “Don’t think we have all forgotten how excited you were for Omar’s proposal!” Zakia teased Asmaa. Asmaa just turned red and grabbed Waliya’s arm, dragging her to her room.

“Zakia apa,” Waliya called over her shoulder.

“Jee?”

“Come help me choose what to wear, please?” Waliya said in a pleading tone as she stood on the first stair sandwiched between Farah and Asmaa. Just at that unfortunate moment, their mother walked past and overhead their conversation.

“Waliya! I told you days ago to choose something to wear!” she shouted, her nervous frazzled from trying to get everything perfect. Despite her knowing that her future son in law and his parents approved of her little princess, she wanted Waliya to see the best of him. No matter what they let Waliya think, they would never go through this wedding without her approval. They didn’t do that for Raihan or Zakia, then there was no way on earth they would do that to their precious baby. Not one to let her train of thoughts distract her, Nafeesa Ebrahim resumed shouting her little girl. “You had ten days to choose something to wear, Waliya! How could you be so careless to leave it to the last minute! Go there right now and choose something! Farah, come and help me!”

With a shared look, they nodded and disappeared heeding to Nafeesa’s bidding. Once in Waliya’s bedroom, Asmaa opened up the cupboard and sifted through Waliya’s many jeans and shirts and dresses. “Sit,” Zakia said and pushed her towards the bed.

“What do you think she should wear?” Asmaa mused as she looked at the clothing. “Abaya?”

“Hmm, Asmaa, maybe a fancy sort of abaya, since my sister only wears black abayas,” Zakia said with a little mocking tone.

“Okay,” Asmaa replied and searched for the perfect abaya.

“I don’t think he is the type of guy that will like something too flashy,” Zakia said, giving a little light unto the situation.

At that small burst of information, Waliya perked up. “Do you know who he is?” she asked, a little excited.

Zakia shook her head as she surveyed Waliya’s make-up collection –which was basically nothing. Waliya basically owned a range of different flavoured lip balms and three or four kohl sticks. “Your make-up variety is pathetic,” she told her sister.

Waliya shrugged. “Answer me, please,” she said pouting.

“Grow up, you can’t pout anymore in his house,” she told Waliya and winked. “Right Asmaa?”