Chapter 11 -Engagement

Chapter 11 –Engagement

"O Mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And fear Allah, through whom you ask one another, and the wombs. Indeed, Allah is ever over you, an Observer."

            -Surah An-Nisa; verse 1

During Waliya's hospital stay, her house was in complete chaos.  Lamia was over almost every single day making sure that things ran perfectly. By the time Waliya arrived home, there was only three days before her engagement. She had to spend a few days in hospital to make certain that she hadn't bruised her ribs not slightly fractured it. Then, they had to keep a check on her concussion. It was a true pain for her to be faffed over all the time. It became bothersome after the first few times.

All the attention she was forced to face due to the concussion; it was suffocating. The one and only thing she truly wanted at that point was some space. She already felt bad enough that her face had slight scrapes that were visible. She felt hideous –not that she was ever the conceited type, but this was one of the times where she really wanted to try and look beautiful. She wanted to impress Aahil's family.

It was going to be the first time they meet one another. She was nervous enough as it was. She didn't want them saying she was unfit for him because she was hideous. It was a fact, that much she knew. But no one would like to be told to their face how inadequate they truly were.

However, days later when it was time for the engagement, everything went smoothly; much to Waliya's surprise. It was not that she was a pessimistic person per se; it was just that she didn't feel too optimistic. One never really knew a person, they could be a wolf hiding in sheep's wool. Yet, she knew she had placed her trust in Allah. Waliya was certain that things will work out for the best because she has full faith and trust in Allah.

"Waliya!" Asmaa beamed as she approached Waliya who was seated on one of the prettiest high back chairs they had at her home. The engagement was separated, as all functions should be and the men were on the other side of the tent, where currently her fiancée was seated. Well, almost fiancée. In a few minutes, after Esha, he would come over to the female side and with his parents, his mother would slide the ring on Waliya's left hand, third finger.

"Asmaa!" she breathed out nervously. The forced smile was still stuck to her face. There was no way she could do is to not let her smile drop even if she was nervous and worried. "Assalaamualaikum," Waliya added on.

"Wa'alaikumusalaam, how are you?" Asmaa said, bending down to Waliya's level. She placed a dainty kiss on Waliya's cheek and hugged her.  Standing back, Asmaa admired Waliya's outfit. It was a simple blue and gold anarkali, with a gold embroided bodice and a matching pattern at the bottom of the anarkali and a gold scarf. The blue netted scarf is casually draped over her left and right arms. All in all, Waliya looks like a simple, yet beautiful princess.

With a deep sigh, Waliya answered. "I feel so nervous, Wallah."

Asmaa laughed and comforted her with soft, soothing words. "Why? It's not like they're gangsters or murderers or something," she teased Waliya.

Waliya rolled her eyes at her friend. Since she was having a good conversation with her friend, the smile wasn't necessary.  "Not that I am certain of that fact," she said drily. "But if they are, I'll let you know. I know how fond you are of real life thrills."

"Not really real life thrills and drama, more on the fictional side," Asmaa said.

"Yeah, so you say. Did you read any good books lately?" Waliya asked her friend excitedly. Reading was not an addiction, nor an obsession but a vital part of their survival. They needed books to read like they needed air to survive. They made certain that if they read a chapter or so, or even more of a novel, they will read at least a page of Qur'an a day. And reading Qur'an does not mean reading Surah Yaseen or Surah Mulk.