Chapter 5 -Breaking the news

Chapter 5 –Breaking the news

“Good women are for good men.”

-Surah Nur, verse 26.

“Waliya!” her father yelled through her shut bedroom door.  “Come to the kitchen for breakfast, your mother and I are waiting!”

“Jee,” she replied lazily and got out of bed. She made her bed and then walked to her bathroom to brush her teeth before joining them for breakfast. As she got to the kitchen, her mother laughed.

“Ya Allah, Waliya, I think you forgot to do something before you left your bedroom,” her mother said, trying to smother her laughs.

Sleepily, Waliya looked at her mother. “Assalaamualaikum mummy,” she said her thoughts still about her leaving her bed. “What did I forget to do?”

Her father, who went outside to get his copy of the Sunday newspaper, walked in behind her and started laughing. “Wals, did you brush your hair before you left?” he asked her before laughing.

She turned red and started laughing. “Nope, I forgot,” she said and started unwinding her hair band and then combed her fingers through her hair before retying the hair band. “But, it’s all fixed!”

Her father petted her back and then went to take the head seat at the table. “That’s what you think, my little girl,” he teased.

She scowled playfully and then went to wash her hands in the kitchen basin before joining her father at the table. Her mother had set the table with everything for breakfast –eggs, sausages, pancakes, muesli and yoghurt, juice, iced coffee, fruit salad and so many other things that she couldn’t believe it. However, she knew there was a reason behind it –and she knew exactly what that reason was.

As soon as she sat, her mother joined her, bring the jar of chocolate spread and a knife. “So, Waliya, what did you think?” her father asked as he piled two eggs in his plate and grabbed toast and a few sausages.

She played dumb. “The breakfast is really unnecessary, but I totally appreciate it,” she said and looked down as she grabbed some pancakes and placed them in her plate and spread the chocolate spread thickly over it. Not seeing the dirty look her father gave her, he spoke. “You know that is not what I meant,” he said dryly.

She giggled. “Oh?” she said and then tore off a piece of her pancake.

“Waliya, your father wants to know what you thought of Aahil,” her mother stressed. “But first pass me the mushrooms please,” she said quickly.

Waliya blushed and kept quiet, and slowly chewed her pancake, trying to stall her father and mother’s question.

“So that’s a yes?” her mother asked hopefully.

She just smiled and looked down.

“Really?” her father asked, getting very excited. Instead of answering her father, she looked up and smiled at him.

“Did you make Salaahtul Istikhaarah?” her mother asked.

“Jee,” she said softly, but because it was just the three of them, they were able to hear her.

“And?” her parents chorused together.       

She smiled and her cheeks went a slight pink with embarrassment. “It was positive, Alhamdulillah,” she said.