Chapter 10 -Hospital visits

Reported by Mu'adh ibn Jabal (RA): The Messenger of Allah {Peace be upon him} said, "Allah, The Exaltred, has said: 'For those who love one another for the sake of My Glory, there will be seats of light (on the Day of Resurrection), and they will be envied by the Prophets and Martyrs."

-Tirmidhi

Raeesa was driving slowly, after she had passed the robot and Waliya got stuck. It was something that they had always done; they would never leave the others alone at night. After five minutes had passed and Waliya hadn't caught up to them, she phoned her mother and Asmaa and told them that she was going to see what had happened. Unfortunately, their own girl code meant that they all followed.

All for one, and one for all, after all.

Raeesa drove, feeling a little uneasy. She wasn't sure why. Yet, when she arrived at the robot, her heart lurched. There was a circle of onlookers around some cars. Pulling off on the yellow lane, she grabbed her phone and ran to the cars. The closer she got, the more afraid she was. Somehow, she knew what she would find.

Waliya's car was turned on the side and she was still stuck inside. The other car was on its roof and the man had been pulled out and many people were helping him seeing as he was bleeding profusely. Raeesa felt him terribly sorry and she wanted to run to him, but her attention was turned to her friend. She ran to Waliya's car, her feet wobbling as she did.

For a second, all she could do was stare. Waliya was turned on her side, facing the night sky littered with stars. Her head had a gash that was slowly trickling blood down the side and her steering wheel was pushed against her chest, the airbag pressing against her throat as well.

As soon as Raeesa threw herself back into the present, she could hear the mumble of onlookers, all of them offering support to Waliya in one form or another. Beside her, Asmaa stood, with her cell phone in her hand dialing away. "Who are you calling?" she asked and she unlocked her phone, ready to call an ambulance.

"I'm calling the police obviously," Asmaa said, annoyed yet it wasn't aimed at Raeesa but at the slow police station.

"I'm calling an ambulance," she told Asmaa and walked towards the car. With every step Raeesa took, she made dua that her friend was safe and not in immediate danger, yet, she also wished that Yusuf could be here with her at that moment. She wished that he was with her, to help her stay calm and keep a cool head, to help her focus and not give in to the panic attack waiting to happen. She wished that he could be here to keep her from hearing how each step she took grinded the crushed glass of the windscreen against the dark tar. She wished he could prevent her from seeing the horror written on her friend's car. The car itself told a story. Just at that second, the ambulances' phone was picked up. She gave her short description what had occurred, what Waliya's situation looked like and the other man that was pulled out of the car.

Once she was done giving the sort of details and descriptions they wanted, she walked towards Waliya's smashed car. "Waliya," she said with a broken voice and blurry eyesight. Waliya was unable to respond and it tore at Raeesa's heart. Waliya's eyes flickered to hers, and she read the pain in them.

"I'm trying," Raeesa said softly, wishing she could reach her face and help with the bleeding in some manner or the other. "I called the ambulance."

It was some time later when Waliya was freed from the clutches of her car. Although it was summer, she was shivering in the back of the ambulance. A thin, brown blanket was thrown over her as she witnessed the police push her car to the side of the road, while her father and mother took her things from the car. They may have been materialistic things, but they would cause havoc if they had been stolen.