Chapter One

Emily's POV:

"ONE, two, three", on three I took the shot enjoying the warm sensation as it travelled down my throat. This wasn't a momentous occasion and if my mother knew the activity I was taking part in, I'm fairly certain I'd be grounded for the next two decades. As the liquid settled in my stomach I looked over at my friend Kara who was laying on her back with her legs hanging over the edge of her lounge. She smiled at me goofily; she has obviously had more to drink than me. I feel buzzed but not that buzzed, as she probably smoked pot before I got here. I wasn't into pot or any other drug, I liked the alcohol mainly because it pisses off my mother beyond belief. My mum and I don't get along. My dad tries everything he possibly can to try and help us to 'bond', but it's safe to say those attempts have failed.

My mother isn't a bad woman, let alone a bad mother, she just isn't my best friend and she definitely isn't someone I would turn to if I ever needed help.

"Kara I have to go", I blurted out trying to sound forceful and confident. Kara groaned and rolled on her stomach. I sometimes wonder what lead me to become friends with Kara. All I know is that she's up for a good time, well all the time.

I took my phone out of my pocket and scrolled through the what seemed like endless texts from my mum.

'Em, where are you?'

'The school called again, you skipped'

'Come home immediately, you're father and I need to speak with you!'

5 missed calls MOTHER

'Answer your phone'

'Are you okay'

'Please Emily reply'

I wasn't sure whether to reply or shrug it off as per usual so instead I wrote 'K' as my reply.

A short time later I was walking down the street that lead to my Aunts hoping and literally praying she won't scream at me, although I would rather her scream at me than my mum. I walked up the drive way to be greeted by Max. I bent down and pat him before walking towards the door. I knocked twice, I heard footsteps and then the door opened revealing Tyler. He smiled softly at me and opened the door further to let me in ,"thanks" I whispered. He shook his head and walked off... so he knew.

I walked into the kitchen to find Megan on the phone.

"Breathe Liz, she is probably out with that friend Katy or whatever her name is. That's not so bad, when we were kids we would skip", Megan said softly into the phone, after a short pause she sighed. "No we didn't skip this much", pause, "her friend what!" pause, Megan laughed. "Don't stress, she will be home as soon as she wants to be..." I giggled at her false reassurance and Megan turned around to face me. She looked at me then shook her head, "Liz Ty needs me to do some paperwork for the house or something" she discreetly ended the phone call .

When she put the phone down, she looked at me, "you my girl, are in very deep shit."

"Nothing new", I said placing my bag on the floor beside the stools.

"Your mother is freaking out, the least you could do is just ring her and say you're alright", she said wrapping me up in a hug.

"And then play 20 questions with her?" I pulled away raising my eyebrow at my aunty.

"She's just making sure you're safe."

"Well do you care if I crash here tonight? I don't really want to see mum at the moment", I said looking down at my sleeve.