Chapter 14

The water washed away to a strangely abrupt calm

The water washed away to a strangely abrupt calm. The ship was still rocking, but not nearly as violently as before. The air was still, a warm and humid stillness that had come so suddenly it seemed almost eerie.

The Captain stood up from crouching on the deck, a bit dizzy after being thrown around. He offered his hand to you to help you stand up.

"Are you alright?" the Captain asked you as he helped you to your feet, wiping the saltwater from your tightly shut eyes.

It was still overcast...except for the clear, blue sky hole that seemed to have magically opened up in the clouds.

"Anika, are you alright?" the Captain repeated gently.

You could barely speak, like your breath had been washed away with the last wave. "Is...is it...is it over?"

"No. We're in the eye of the storm. This marks the definite halfway point."

"Only halfway?!" you cried in dismay.

"Only halfway," the Captain sighed.

"Well...how much longer until it starts up again?"

"We've got a few minutes at the most," he said. "Let's get you a rope while we're waiting. Does anybody know where some extra rope is at?!"

Most of the crew was tied to the mast in threes. (The Captain was the only one who had just a single person on his rope, as he was supposed to be.) The soaking wet sailors gave him this look that said, A-hoy?! We be kinda low on rope here, Cap'n!

The Captain glanced around for anything that might help. His eyes fell back on his cabin, and he ran to it, leaving you behind. "Captain, can I just pair up?" you asked.

"No rope left!" he responded.

"Can't we just shorten someone's?!"

"There's no time for that!"

You opened your mouth to say something else, but nothing came to mind. You swallowed your anxiously tightened throat. 

Wait, was this it? Were you about to be defeated by a lack of rope? Were you going to be washed away to drown and die in the ocean as soon as that storm came back?

The Captain grabbed something from his cabin, and taking a noticeable bit of time to do it, and then slammed the door shut. He was surprised his cabin was still there, as he'd thought it would have washed away by now, (which was why he got you out of it). 

He ran back to you. "Here," he said, holding two leather belts. He quickly tied one around your waist to the rope around his, and then tied the second one the same way just to be safe.

"Umm, Captain, are you sure about this?" you asked tentatively.

"I hope so," he said, finishing securing it. You both stood front-to-front, and the Captain looked down at you desperately, a fleeting look in his eyes, buckling the belts around you.