Chapter 26

"Need to say goodbye, Sima?" Gaspar asked you as you clung to Skipp's hand.

Your heart jolted to realize...this was the moment your husband-to-be was going to kill your Captain. Your burning fury and hatred abruptly extinguished into a drowning, all-consuming terror that you were about to watch Skipp be killed right before your eyes.

"No, no, wait, you don't need to kill him," you tried to persuade. "You already have me, just leave him be... Captain, Prince, Master even, whatever you want me to call you, let him go, you've already won!"

"But where be the fun in that?" Gaspar laughed. "My only regret today be that I never killed that little runt when I 'ad the chance...and by the luck of the sages, now I be gettin' another chance."

"No, wait! We...we can work something out, we can make a deal! There must be something, anything...I-I'll do anything, just let him live!"

A nasty smile crawled up his scarred, sun-worn face. "Anything? Really anything?"

You gulped, and forced the reply from your mouth, though they hurt like knives. "Yes." Your hand began to shake in the Captain's.

"Don't you dare, Anika," the Captain hissed. "Don't you dare forfeit your freedom for me, I'd rather die than live knowing you'll have to survive as his complete slave."

"And you'd die, leaving me all alone?" you replied. "If you love me, you'll let me let you live!"

"And if you love me, you won't let me let you let me live!"

Gaspar was tired of the mushiness. "You be gettin' a minute to gimme some good ideas, Sima, cause we be goin' to at least play with him before we be lettin' him die."

"No, don't hurt him, leave him alone, that's part of the deal!" you begged. Your Captain already had enough scars all over him, and he didn't need any more.

"Too late." Gaspar pulled a knife out of his belt. "Oh, Sima. I be thinkin' of a gut-buster of a joke for ya."

You and the Captain met eyes and exchanged terrified glances.

"How you be makin' a little prince run in circles and scream?"

You didn't say anything. No, no, I don't want to know...

"Go on. Ask me how."

You still didn't reply.

"Sima! Ask me or I be cuttin' his feet off!"

"How, then, your Majesty?" your voice cracked.

"Finally. The solution be...nail his hand to the deck." Prince Gaspar twirled the knife in his fingers and reeled back to slam down on the Captain's hand.

" Prince Gaspar twirled the knife in his fingers and reeled back to slam down on the Captain's hand

"No!" you exclaimed, grabbing his wrist before it could come down. "Don't you touch him!"

Gaspar was not pleased. "This coulda bin funny, Sima, but not anymore. He gon' get two hands down now, thanks to you."