Chapter 27

It was a few glorious minutes later until the ship of the Murderer's Prize was a safe distance away, when you turned your main attention back to Gaspar.

"Hey Gaspar, want to hear a joke?" you asked him sneeringly.

"No," he grunted from his knees.

"How do you make a little prince scream and run in circles?"

"Anika, let's not," the Captain interfered, standing at your side.

Oh well. You weren't sure you had it in you anyways.

"You gunna kill me then, Princess?" Gaspar asked, his voice devoid of any emotion as he gave into hopeless defeat.

You thought about it. I've never killed anyone before. Sure, that seemed like as good of a time as any, but you'd already made your point.

"I'll leave that to my Captain," you decided, lowering the blade from the pirate's throat. "You doomed his sister and stole his kingdom. And tried to steal his betrothed, for that matter. I'll leave it to the true heir of Tristram to finish off the last one who had a hand in Flora's death."

Gaspar scoffed as you stepped back and handed his sword to Captain Skipp.

"Thank you, Anika. Fine job you've just done."

"Yes sir, Captain

"Yes sir, Captain." Your grin beamed from cheek-to-cheek.

He gave you a nod and turned to face his kneeling, bleeding-out brother.

"Any last words?" the Captain asked.

"Not really." Gaspar smiled a mouthful of rotten yellow teeth. "But ya cabin slave be a mighty good kisser."

Those were quite the memorable last words.

The Captain left the sword sticking in Gaspar's skull as he stepped back.

You raised an eyebrow. "You don't have to stab them all the same way. It's getting all over the deck. Just make them walk the plank or something. Who do you think is going to have to clean that up?"

"It's my trademark," he said defensively.

"Trademark to show to who? The ship that sailed away five minutes ago? There's no one here but us," you noted assertively. "What, are we just going to stare at the creepy tribute while he bleeds out? It's leaking into the crew's quarters."

"You live with pirates now. The word 'creepy' means nothing here."

"You mean we're staying?" you asked him. "Like, on this ship? We just...move on like nothing happened?"

"No, definitely not. I need a new ship, this one's trashed. And I need a new crew, obviously. So..." he paused, "but finding a new crew takes years. And so does building or buying a new ship. We may need to lay low for a while."

"So...I'm hearing we should go on a vacation? Just the two of us?" you asked.

"Anika, this isn't over. Terrell, Zeki, Bing, and eventually Finnegan are all coming after us. You're still betrothed to a prince of Tristram."

"Well I know that, Prince Skipp," you replied. I think I'll take this prince.

He winced at the sound of his name. "Ugh. I'm not royalty anymore. Please don't call me that."

"By the way, when the hell were you planning on telling me about that? What was the point of even keeping that from me? You were my original betrothed, you don't think I'd have wanted to know that?"

"Well forgive me that it's something I preferred to leave in the past...though I wouldn't mind following through on the old betrothal. I'm certainly not going to leave you to any of my brothers."

You smiled. "You want to elope on the royal families of Tristram and Etholira?"

"You said it, not me."

You nodded, an uncontainable grin bursting on your face. "Well, I wouldn't mind that either. But, you have to promise me something first."

"Oh? And what is that?"

"To brush your teeth next time before you kiss me."

He rested his hands on your shoulders. "Alright, alright, I think I can do that...after this one, though."

He leaned in, closing his eyes, to kiss you.

"Bath! Bath too," you added.

"Yes, okay, I promise, now come here."

You draped your arms around his shoulders and kissed, but not before one last,

"Yes sir, Captain."