Chapter 17

"Remember — hold it steady — that sword isn't for flailing back in forth like a beating stick, it's for blocking your opponent's moves."

"Right," you said, and adjusted your stance, feet shoulder length apart and flat.

"And keep one leg back. Be on your toes."

You shifted one leg farther back and took a deep breath. Your sword quivered; it was the lightest the Captain had, but still felt awkward in your grip.

The Captain adjusted his stance too, and then slashed the tip of his cutlass by you, as you barely blocked it. He came back with another flick, still going very carefully as to not harm you, just to give you some practice, and you backed up.

He still went slowly, and every time you blocked it, you took a step back.

You must've taken four steps back on the deck, with the Captain stepping forward to meet you in turn, until you tripped over something behind you, and with a short scream, nearly tumbled over the railing and into the sea.

"Woah there!" the Captain exclaimed, and caught you, leaning far against the railing, and grabbing you, cradling you halfway over the railing, and as you met each others' eyes, you both grew a little smile. 

You almost considering trying to lean in on him again, and secretly as did he, but both of your felt your hearts like repelling magnets, pulling so close together...but...yet never touching...in a promise of a betrothal to another, or a promise to their crew...

He pulled you back to the deck and picked up your dropped sword, handing it to you. "Listen...the key to winning your fight is situational awareness. You could've tripped over that railing, or you could've used it to your advantage as an anchor or support."

You nodded bleakly and took your position back, this time with the Captain between you and the railing so you wouldn't fall over

You nodded bleakly and took your position back, this time with the Captain between you and the railing so you wouldn't fall over. "But what am I supposed to do as an attack while I'm defending myself?"

"There's no point in attacking if you can't defend yourself first," he said, "but, really honestly, you don't seem to be very comfortable with that rapier. It tapers to the point, and it's the only one I have that does that. I thought something light would do well to start, so maybe we'll try more of a sabre or falchion, or even a scimitar."