Chapter 23

You'd dreamed the crew of the Scurvy Raider threw the Captain overboard...  So you were definitely having a hard time falling back asleep. 

Not wanting to wake the Captain with your tossing and turning, you stepped out onto the deck for a breath of fresh air.

But...why was the whole crew awake...crowding around above deck...I didn't know the crew was this large...

They all turned towards you. There were three unfamiliar faces out of two dozen familiar ones. And...those unfamiliar faces didn't look like very nice faces...

Your heart started pounding a little. "Um...w-what is this?"

Knoll silently waved to indicate you come join the crew.

You...weren't so sure you wanted to do that. Eyeing the three newcomers, you took a step back. "Who are they? What's going on?"

"They come to tell us things about young Jim lad," Jagger replied; they refused to call the Captain by his title anymore. "Come over, we can't be lettin' 'im overhear."

Wyck leaned out of the group, noticing my hesitation. "They ain't gon' hurt you, me hearty. They just here ta talk."

Hesitant, you slowly walked up to the crew, arms crossed as you shivered — not entirely from the cold — giving a slightly shameful glance towards the cabin behind you to be engaging in that behind his back. You still hung a good distance away from the three strangers.

"Scarpa bin right, the lad be from Tristram," Knoll gossiped. "Was a real young lad, a runaway wi'h 'is big sister, carryin' a plunder a' gold. They bin stowed away on a ship to Etholira when Scarpa's Captain done a raid on it. But wenches be bad luck on ships, so they killed 'er."

Flora. Flora was his big sister...that he ran away with... And Scarpa's Captain and the crew were the ones who did all those horrible things to her... No wonder the Captain and Scarpa got along so poorly.

"Scarpa bin second in charge, an' adopted the lad as a servant an' son. But a few months in, the lad up and killed the Cap'n in the dead a' night, he got in lotsa trouble for that. Scarpa took over the ship, started doin' more kidnappin's an' slave trade. The lad bin on bad terms wi'h the crew, and he still bin a servant, so he bin doin' the hard jobs and gettin' in lotsa more trouble. One day, he bin runnin' off on land, disappearin' for years, and showin' back up with more Tristramian gold than anyone 'ad ever seen. He bought Scarpa's ship an' crew off 'im, just ta turn 'round and kill and burn 'em all."

You swallowed anxiously at the sound of the violent tale... The Captain had gotten his revenge for Flora, and it wasn't pretty.

"Then the lad got to buyin' this beauty of a ship, hirin' crew, and doin' all 'is pirating real different from other seadogs, and doin' all them favors. But now these three squires bin helpin' spread word. Ain't no one doin' him a favor now. Every ship be peelin' they eyes for 'im, there be a lotta gold out for any seadog bringin' 'im in."

You took a deep breath, looking away from Knoll, back to the three unfamiliar pirates, who were staring at you with a frightening, unreadable expression... Please don't be turning the Captain in!

"So who are they?" you asked Knoll, staring at those men. "How do they know this? Why are they telling us this? How did they get here?"

"They be comin' from that ship."