Chapter 20

You woke up alone in the cot.

"Raise the sails!"

"All hands on deck!"

"Prepare yourselves, men!"

"All supplies below deck!"

Each call had come from the Captain.

You ran out of the cabin and to the Captain with your stomach in a knot of dread. "Oh no, tell me there isn't going to be another storm!"

"There isn't going to be another storm."

Ahh, why am I not relieved? "Then what's going on?!"

The Captain swallowed. "Scarpa's coming. I'd recognize his flag from miles away. He seems to have suddenly changed his mind about the deal I made to get you."

You turned white as a ghost. "No. No. He can't."

"Anika, get below deck and stay there."

"He can't! He can't take me back! He'll sell me, he'll sell me to Tristram, he'll sell me to Gaspar, he'll–"

"Anika, just get below deck and don't come out unless I come get you myself, do you hear me?" the Captain said.

"Captain, you can't let him take me, you can't, you wouldn't–"

"And I'll never let him take you, Anika, now run. Find somewhere below deck and stay there! And don't you dare come back out unless I come get you myself! If you hear one of us yelling that it's safe, you don't know if they might be holding a gun to our heads and forcing us to, so wait until I come for you! Now get out of here, I am not about to lose you too!"

You nodded blankly, and fled towards the trapdoor covering the stairs.

"Don't let any of us know where you are!" he added with a yell, and then went back to barking at his crew.

You ran down to the bilge rat before realizing that was one of the first places they would check, so you ran back up to the kitchen, grabbed a blanket from the quarters as you passed it (which unfortunately really smelled) and crammed yourself into an empty crate, putting the blanket over top of you along with the lid.

You were heaving for air in panic. You could see out a crack in the wood, and there were a few other holes in it, so you could breathe just fine.

You had just steadied yourself a few breaths, and were starting to notice the stains in the disgusting blanket you'd chosen, when several of Scarpa's cannons were shot off at the ship, rocking it violently...and then the cannon fire was returned by the Scurvy Raider a few seconds later, along with a bloodcurdling battle scream.

You swallowed. They were fighting over you.

Oh no, what have I done?

Don't you dare lose yourself in there Captain, because I'll have no idea what to do without you.

.

~ ~ ~

.

It wasn't long before the first few rogues dove down below deck in search of you, and, as you'd predicted, ran straight to the bottom of the ship.

You were safe. For now.

You heard a great clamor, yelling, running, stomping and they ran across deck to their opponents, taunting, screaming, riling at them, winning or losing...while the swords clashed, cracked sound into the air, slashing, ripping, knocked around, hitting or missing their set mark.