Chapter 18

After another few days of training and not really doing anything else besides cooking, you learned to hold off the most feeble of attackers. Many pirates on the sea had never received any real training, so three or four days with an experienced tutor was definitely doing you some good.

Then, one morning, you'd woken up and gone into the kitchen to begin cooking.

And then you saw them.

You screeched in terror.

The Captain's eyes shot open, abruptly ending his sleep. Anika.

You fled up above deck, the whole ship awakened with a start, grabbing their cutlasses and weapons

The Captain was the first to reach you, and had hastily thrown on his captain's cloak over his clothes, and grabbed his blade. "Anika, Anika, are you alright? Has something happened? Are you hurt?"

A few tears rolled down your cheeks and you tried to slow down your panicked breathing enough to be heard clearly. "There's....they're down there....they're in the kitchen...I don't know...but they...how..."

"Anika, calm down," he said. "Hey, take a deep breath."

You started breathing heavier, still panicked.

"Hey, look at me." He said. "Anika, look at me and calm down. Everything's going to be fine, alright?"

You nodded slowly, regaining a little peace.

"You're going to be okay, I'm right here, nothing is going to hurt you. I'm right here with you. Take slow deep breaths and...good, now see, you're alright. Now tell me what happened."

You nodded. "Captain, there's something in the kitchen, they're...I don't even know what, it's just..." You looked around fleetingly.

"Hey, look at me. Anika, look at me. Anika. Look at me," he said soothingly. "You're alright. Just a little scared. So what was in the kitchen?"

You swallowed.

You had to catch your breath for a second.

And then you croaked, "there are bugs in the food!"

The crew, which had just arrived, all sighed or groaned simultaneously, dropping their weapons.

The Captain nodded slowly. "And I can see why that would be scary but..." he began to chuckle, "there's always maggots in the meat, alright?"

Your eyes widened. "What?" You turned pale.

"After so long at sea, the food starts going bad. So that just means you need to add more salt, got it?"

"What?! But there are maggots in the food!!"

"Yes there are. There always are. Great source of nutrition. Now do you need a hug before you go back down and finish preparing the meat?" He was being sarcastic.