Chapter 25

The Captain glared up at Prince Gaspar with a hateful stare, standing a few inches shorter than his big brother, a cruel, looming man curling his lip in disgust.

Your mind was still reeling... His brother?!?

"Get your hands off me," you snapped at the monster clutching you, and pushed him away from you in vain, struggling against his firm grip.

"Hold on now, beauty. I'll play with you later."

You didn't listen. "Shut it, you lousy piece of–!"

"Now a tongue like that won't be doing you any good. Speak to me like that again and I'll be having it removed." He smiled. "But first...what should I be namin' you?"

You pirates and their names... You thought bitterly.

"Ah." A grand name popped into his head. "Sima."

You wrinkled your nose at the sound of that name. It was very Tristramian. The name itself wasn't the problem, but the fact he chose the most common regal name he could think up on the spot, a name only used in Tristram, to be your title.

"Sima, means treasure. Like Gaspar. Oh, you must be feelin' so honored, named after me. Except Sima also means...prize...as in...Murderer's Prize...which be bringing me to my next point, what to do about Skipp."

"Skipp?" you dared to ask.

"Yes, that be his name. Prince Skipp, Father's spoiled little favorite. I bin the firstborn, I bin the heir for thirty years before this little runt got him thinkin' twice. So I told 'im exactly what was gon' happen to that sister he was so close to when Father married 'er off."

"Flora didn't deserve to be a cabin slave!" Captain Skipp burst.

"Belay that gruff," Gaspar barked. "She was a whinin' little loose-lipped wench. I got 'er betrothed to a seadog who could giver 'er a place in rank on purpose. It worked mighty fine, cause she an' Skipp ran off. I bin real happy to tell Father precious little Skipp was dead."

"Then Father will be just as happy to hear I'm back," Skipp retorted.

"Oh no, he be furious wi'h you," Gaspar corrected. "He don't even want you alive no more. Yee stole my Queen of Tristram."

You mean your cabin slave? Because that's what Tristram's women become. You glared at the monster gripping you, but that only made him hold you tighter.

"Yee stole the treasury too," Gaspar continued scolding his little brother. "Don't think Father ain't figured that out. You lost ya first bag of gold to Scarpa's crew, so years later ya went back and damn near emptied the royal Tristram treasure caves!"

Captain Skipp snickered. "You're welcome."

Gaspar bared his nasty teeth down at Skipp. "How lucky you bin, stumblin' across my betrothed. We never woulda found ya again if ya hadn't picked 'er up."

"She was betrothed to me first," Skipp taunted.

"Well, she be goin' to me now, along with Father's whole Kingdom." Gaspar turned to you. "King Roland hired me to fetch you. He sayin' as soon as I bring ya back, we gon' finally have our overdue marriage ceremony." He grinned a nasty, rotting, yellow smile.

"I hate you," you snarled. "I'm never going to be your wife, and your little brother is more of a man than you could ever be."

"You sharp-tongued wench!" Gaspar made no hesitation to grab you by a fistful of your hair and smack you across the face as you squeaked, your cheek stinging.

"Get your hands off her!" Skipp yelled in your defense, but of course that didn't do anything.

"I be doin' whatever I want with my Sima," Gaspar threatened, before returning his attention to you. "You better start behavin' yerself, wench, or I gon' start a new tactic."

"Which is?"

"Take them off."

You swallowed. That time, you didn't need to ask what was being asked of you. Between that, being called 'beauty,' and being renamed, you were starting to see a faint resemblance between Skipp and Gaspar.

"That be what I thought," Gaspar huffed. "I better not be hearin' anythin' from you except yes sir, Cap'n."

"You're not my Captain and you never will be!" you dared hurl back.

You yelped as he slapped you again.

"I be your Cap'n now! I be your Cap'n, your Prince, and your Master, you loose-lipped cabin slave!"

"I am nobody's slave!"

"You done bin sold to him as one!"

"He let me exercise my own free will!"

"Well you not be goin' to find any of that here!" Gaspar let you go and only gripped you by the arm so tight your fingers tingled and felt numb, and he turned to your Captain. "On your knees, Jim lad!"

The Captain didn't move.

Gaspar squeezed your arm tighter and you began to gasp in pain.

Captain Skipp immediately dropped to his knees.

"Good," Gaspar said. "Now bow to me."

The Captain's jaw tightened.

"Bow."

The Captain took a deep, tense breath.

"Bow or she will for you," Gaspar shoved you to the deck as you let out a squeak.

The Captain slowly knelt to Gaspar.

Gaspar shoved a muddy boot on the back of the Captain's head.

"Finally. A place in rank for you, little brother. This is the way it should be," Gaspar growled.

"This is the reason it shouldn't."

"Belay that gruff, you scurvy urchin," Gaspar slandered. 

The Captain's hand was right there, shaking like a leaf, in front of you, on the ground. You reached out for it and gave it a squeeze.

It squeezed back.

You didn't need to look at him to know he was scared. 

But not for him.

For you.