Chapter 15

You blinked your eyes open.

You were in a strange place you'd never seen before; on the floor of a ship, in a large room, with a maroon, gold-embroidered Captain's coat over you as a blanket, still damp.

It was the Captain's coat, but where was the Captain? Was he alright?

You glanced around again. You weren't in the Captain's quarters or the kitchen, or anywhere else on the Scurvy Raider you knew of.

So if you weren't on the Scurvy Raider, where were you, and why did you have the Captain's robe?

You rubbed your eyes and sat up.

Nobody else was around.

"H-hello?" you squeaked to the silent air.

The thing was, the Scurvy Raider was never quiet. Never completely. Especially not while the sun was up.

You got up and went to the door, and peeked out through the keyhole.

You saw familiar, but sullen, faces across a familiar ship.

You sighed with relief just to know you were still on the Scurvy Raider

You pushed the door open, and all of the sailors, mostly crowded around the mast, a few of which had been talking in hushed whispers, went silent and looked over at you. "What's...wrong?" you asked nervously, a sinking feeling in your stomach. Something bad had just happened.

The Captain, who'd been sitting on a short flight of stairs across the deck that led to the raised platform at the bow, was sitting there, alone. Separated from his crew, his knees to his chest and his head resting on his knees, not wearing his trench coat or hat, jumped up at the sound of your voice. Something was off about him. Very off. 

"Anika?" As he saw you emerge, he ran to you.

"What happened? Why is everyone–"

He hugged you.

Stunned, but relieved he was alright, you immediately hugged him back.

"You feeling alright? Are you hurt? Is your head alright?" he asked worriedly

"Yes, but Captain, I woke up under your trenchcoat, and you're always wearing your trenchcoat, I thought something might've happened to you! Gosh, don't scare me like that!"