Chapter 1

"BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!"
I roll over and practically throw my phone across the room. After about 10 minutes of debating whether or not school was going to be useful in life, I decide on getting up.

I dress and go downstairs to see a note and a ring on the kitchen table. My parents had been fighting again. I wasn't worried because it had happened at least 50 times before, so I sighed and just threw the note away and took the ring to my room for my mom later. It was almost a part of my routine.

My mom, Karen and dad, Rick met in high school. They were the perfect couple, even being voted as 'the cutest couple' in their senior year. Then Cassandria Anne Delgate was born (that's me). We all seemed like such the loving family. Seven years later, everything changed drastically after my brother, Stephen was born.

My dad wasn't ready for the change and his personality changed from a happy, loving man to a grumpy, don't-touch-me type person. The fighting started after Stephen turned one. I was old enough to not be extremely terrified, but Stephen on the other hand was practically being scarred for life. They'd be so abusive with their words to each other at times, I'd have to take Stephen and go in my closet just so we couldn't hear them.

Now, a few years later, me at 17 years and Stephen at 10, we're both used to it and it's basically just a normal part of our lives. I probably would've moved out by now if it wasn't for Stephen.

I grab my backpack and walk out the door to my car. I meet my best friend, Melanie, at her locker and we walk to our first class, Biology II.

                                  >>><<<

I'm a pretty quiet person. I really never talk, mostly 'cause when I do, no one hears or responds, so I just stay silent. Being the quiet kid in all of my classes, I can say I've seen and heard many things.

Melanie and I walked down to the cafeteria for lunch. We sit in our usual spot, which is alone except for a few other nerds like us. "Hey Cas, did you hear we got a new student?" Melanie asked me. "No, who is it?" I ask, mouth full of food. "His name is Michael, I don't know much about him," She responds. "Oh well, if he's anything like an average new student, then he's not anything special," I respond, finishing my lunch, picking up my trash and getting up to leave the table. Melanie follows, standing up also.

"That's not what it looks like," Melanie says, pointing over at a group of students. I look over to see a bunch of them crowding around a table. Sitting at the table were the "popular" people and someone who I hadn't seen before. He wore a white t-shirt with a blue button up. What really stood out to me was his hair. He had beautiful, black curls. He also had a very cute smile. I shook my head out of the daydream I was staring into, and dragged Melanie, who was also in a state of dreaminess to the trash cans to throw away our trash.

"He's beautiful," Melanie immediately said when we got back to our table. She had a huge smile on her face. I giggled and just shook my head. I looked over my shoulder to get another look, because the crowd had left. He really wasn't half-bad looking. He stood up to throw away his trash. We locked eyes for approximately 0.5 seconds. I turned away before it got awkward.

Melanie and I left the lunchroom for our last class of the day, Advanced Sciences. We walked into the classroom and sat. I was in the middle of leaning over out of my seat to pick up a book that I had dropped when I heard a sweet voice talking to someone in front of me.

It was Michael.